PDA

View Full Version : A sign of the new economic times?

Brian Penning
10-20-2008, 6:20 AM
Did an artisan show on the weekend. Was quite slow, with the volume of people I'd guessimate as half of last year's show. Sales were not good but as happened last year it's how much I get contacted afterwards that's important. Was already a couple of emails this morning asking for quotes.
I've got 2 more shows to do so we'll see as it gets closer to Xmas.

Brent Smith
10-20-2008, 9:40 AM
Hey Bri,

I wanted to get there, but ended up helping a friend with his deck. His contractor left him high and dry with half a pile of lumber and no return phone calls for the last couple of weeks.

I think that everyone is holding their money close these days. I see it at the shop. I'm sure you'll get some orders from the show though. Your next one should be a boom for you....Westmounters have money to spend on quality no matter what the financial climate is like.

Robby Tacheny
10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it depends on the area. I live in the DC / Baltimore area in a small town that has a festival once a year called "The Catoctin Colorfest." This year there were more people and booths than I have ever seen. Last for example had over 100k.

So I guess it depends on the area, proximity to cities, and advertising.

-R

David Keller NC
10-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I suspect the financial shocks of the last few weeks have really scared the heck out of folks with normal to mildly affluent means. The news media's obsession with bad news is definitely making things worse.

The example I can give is a few tools that I put on e-bay. Several of them were highly desirable collector's items, but still sold quite low, and I suspect because of the very large number of feeback counts on the buyers, they sold to dealers. The best example I can give is an 18" Davis Level and Tool inclinometer - unlike most of the ones that I see on e-bay, this one was undamaged, and had near 99% of its original japaning. It should have sold for about $350, and would've sold at a major tool auction last year for well over that. On e-bay, it brought $127. Someone got a huge deal.:(