PDA

View Full Version : I need a couple of skew chisels...

David Rose
05-21-2004, 2:53 AM
Hi,

I need to do the handwork on a couple of "tombstone" panels. I looked in the major tool catalogs for skew chisels and Lee Valley for one carries chisels that appear to be greater than 45 degree angles. I don't think that any greater angle will cut these effectively. I have a set of Marples Blue Label chisels which hold an edge about like most folks report. Since I've been wanting to replace them for sometime, I thought about regrinding a couple of those. Of course I don't have two of the same width. Besides that I don't have a grinder with jigs to hold the angle true. I could hand true them on a bench grinder then "scarey sharpen" them, but it seems like a bit of work. I don't know how many times I will need skews anyway. Any suggestions?

David

Richard Gillespie
05-21-2004, 7:25 AM
I had an extra 1" wide blue Marples chisel and ground that with a double skew. You'll want more than a 45 degree angle on it in my opinion. I made a mark with a felt tip marker at 5/8" down from the edge ground the angle to it. If I had to do it again I'd go a little further down. It takes a little while at the grinder. There isn't a jig you can use so you just have to trust your eye.

It works quite well and isn't that hard to sharpen using scary sharp. You don't have to work with two chisels that way. I have the crown 1/2" skew chisels by the way but am more likely to reach for the Marples.

Marc Hills
05-21-2004, 9:16 AM
Hi David:

I came across these on eBay. It doesn't indicate the maker, but I know that this eBay seller has been moving a lot of Record and Marples products lately. Both James Carmichael and I purchased Marples sash mortising chisels from this outfit and were pleased with the transaction.

Marc Hills
05-21-2004, 9:27 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20762&item=4303343670&rd=1

Darlene D
05-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi David,

Check out carving tools to find the skew chisel you need. Most good quality manufacturers of carving tools will have skew chisels in their catalogue. You will find the carving chisels to be thinner and nicer to use than ground down wood chisels.

Hope this helps.

Darlene

David Rose
05-21-2004, 3:48 PM
Richard: that's an idea! My first thought was my double bevel marking knife, but I'm not sure it is up to that task.

Marc: thanks for the link.

Darlene: I had always thought of carving tools as for "more delicate" operations. But in this case, I guess it *is* a pretty delicate operation. And it is definitely more like carving than normal chisel use. Can you recommend a brand that will hold an edge well and not have too high a price? I know that is relative, but I don't mind spending up to say $50 for the pair, if it takes that to get a quality tool. I'm not happy with the edge holding ability of the Marples that I have.

David

Darlene D
05-21-2004, 9:12 PM
David,

I suggest you try one of the better quality European manufacturers - Two Cherries (German), Pfeil (Swiss) or Stubai (Austrian). Check around, as prices do differ.

Darlene

Tom Stovell
05-21-2004, 11:14 PM
David,
I got a couple from Garrett-Wade several years ago. You might check that site and see what's available.

Tom

Ps. Just went and took a look there--they ain't cheap!

Joel Moskowitz
05-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Skew carving tools are ground differently than skew chisels for woodworkers. Carving chisel have a double bevel, woodworking chisels have only a single bevel. The trade-off is control. for woodworking you need the flat back so you can guide the chisel into the corner of your joint. Carvers on the other hand need the double bevel to give a high total included angle for less tearout and less guideance so that the tool cuts where they want it to.

Narrow skew chisels are the most useful because they fit into narrow joints. You don't actually use them much so edge retention etc isn't a big deal and you don't need a great chisels to do the job well. recommendations:
1) Grind up a pair of old chisels you have outgrown. - who cares is they don't exactly match.

2) buy 2 cheapos at the local big box (1/4" seems about right). grind shallow angles (unlike carving tools too much skew will cause interference in narrow joints and weaken the tip of the tool and make it easier to burn when grinding. )

3) Yes, some people do buy better chisels and grind them skew too. it's nice to have matching skews that match your regular set but unlike your main set the extra quality isn't that important.

4) Borrow your mates. This is what I used to do. The three times a year I needed a skew chisel it was just easier to walk to the next bench and ask the boss. But I don't have a boss now - so I guess the next time I need skew chisels I will end up making some.

David Rose
05-22-2004, 6:31 PM
Joel, you bring up several good points. I didn't realize that about the carving skews. Thanks for saving me some grief. I've used chisels just enough to realize the importance of the flat back for a guide. (That didn't take long) :rolleyes:

I've got oil and water hardening steels but would just as soon spend the time working wood rather than making them and figuring out handles.

Good point on the "low use". I think I'll grab a couple of decent looking ones at the Borg and regrind them. I noticed that Stanley marks some of their chisels "made for resharpening" and not others! Wow! What good would a "non resharpenable" chisel be? Especially since all these would be too dull to use, even for a throw away, out of the package. I guess they are marketed for carpentry or some use like that.

Yeah, no mate here either, Mate. :(

David

Skew carving tools are ground differently than skew chisels for woodworkers. Carving chisel have a double bevel, woodworking chisels have only a single bevel. The trade-off is control. for woodworking you need the flat back so you can guide the chisel into the corner of your joint. Carvers on the other hand need the double bevel to give a high total included angle for less tearout and less guideance so that the tool cuts where they want it to.

Narrow skew chisels are the most useful because they fit into narrow joints. You don't actually use them much so edge retention etc isn't a big deal and you don't need a great chisels to do the job well. recommendations:
1) Grind up a pair of old chisels you have outgrown. - who cares is they don't exactly match.

2) buy 2 cheapos at the local big box (1/4" seems about right). grind shallow angles (unlike carving tools too much skew will cause interference in narrow joints and weaken the tip of the tool and make it easier to burn when grinding. )

3) Yes, some people do buy better chisels and grind them skew too. it's nice to have matching skews that match your regular set but unlike your main set the extra quality isn't that important.

4) Borrow your mates. This is what I used to do. The three times a year I needed a skew chisel it was just easier to walk to the next bench and ask the boss. But I don't have a boss now - so I guess the next time I need skew chisels I will end up making some.