PDA

View Full Version : New Turner Questions

Radek Kowalski
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Where can I get good pen kits from for cheap? I know Rockler has them, are most prices similar?

I got some birch logs last night. Can I seal the ends with beeswax? Thanks.

Dick Strauss
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Radek,
Yes, you can seal the ends of your birch logs with any type of wax, latex paint, or Anchorseal (wax emulsion). Cut them into pen blank sizes 3/4"x3/4"x6" so that they dry faster. You also want to leave some of the wood a little larger if possible. For pens, you really need dry lumber so that the blanks don't move or crack after you turn them.

I'd start with slimlines pen kits that are available through Craft Supplies USA or Penn State. They have kits starting at $1.65 each http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Apprentice_Pen_Kits?Args=
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/slimline-pen-kits.html

Good luck,
Dick

Radek Kowalski
10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Any major difference between using anchorseal or beeswax? Price difference or anything? Thanks.

Dick Strauss
10-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Radek,
Anchorseal is a liquid wax emulsion so it is easy to apply with a brush. It usually dries in a few hours. I think it costs $15 to $20 per gallon but goes a long way.

Beeswax first needs to be melted so that it will stick to wet wood and wick into the endgrain bit. The log has to be dipped in the wax or the wax has to be brushed on the wood very quickly while the wax is still liquid. This process seems like it would be a little messy IMO.

I don't know the price difference since I haven't used the beeswax method. Maybe others can help you answer that question...???????

David Walser
10-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Where can I get good pen kits from for cheap? I know Rockler has them, are most prices similar?...

Radek,

One of the most important details to look for is the quality of the plating. Craft Supplies USA (CSUSA) has a good write up on the different types of plating available. This link should take you there: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/print_catalog/8?Partnerid=vcs8?Args= (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/print_catalog/8?Partnerid=vcs8?Args=)(Use the zoom button to see the page in a readable size.) Once you've turned a few pens, you'll want to use kits that have a plating that will last.

Quality pen kits can be had from several suppliers. There's a lot of competition, so prices for similar quality kits tend to fall within a tight range. Unless there's a sale, you can usually do better with the internet suppliers -- but it's nice to be able to hold a kit in your hand like you can at the local Rockler or WoodCraft store. Two of my favorite suppliers are Arizona Silhouette and CSUSA.

Arizona Silhouette is primarily a re-seller of Berea pen kits (although it appears they are now selling kits that are available exclusively through Arizona Silhouette). The fonder really knows his stuff and can give you good pointers. Here's the link: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

CSUSA introduced pen kits to the American market. They have a full range of kits available, from very inexpensive kits for use in learning to ultra-high-end kits. (Would you believe a limited edition kit that costs $140 per kit? It's available from CSUSA.) CSUSA is known for good customer service. Here's the link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making?Args=&page_number=1

One more thing to consider: The Berea kits (sold by Arizona Silhouette and others) use different sized mandrels -- an "A" and a "B" size. I'm not aware of another maker of pen kits that uses more than one mandrel size. Berea's approach has an advantage -- the thicker B mandrel is stiffer. (The extra bulk is made possible by the larger diameter tubes used by some of Berea's kits.) The extra stiffness is nice, but it's another thing to keep track of.

Hope this helps.

Radek Kowalski
10-20-2008, 1:09 AM
Ok, Great. I see a couple slimlines I like alot.

I was talking to a friend, he mentioned cheap lathe chisels can break. I read a couple weeks ago that the Harbor freight chisel set is a good deal for starters. They have the 16in set for 45ish for 8 pieces and they have the 10in set for 10dollars.

Would that be an issue, or would they just get dull really fast? Safety is a concern. Thanks.

Dick Strauss
10-20-2008, 6:57 AM
Radek,
I've had good luck with my larger HF set. I got the maroon stained handle set. Others have said that the oak like handles were made with a cheaper steel. The set is primarily for spindle turning. Larger tools will tend to be more safe because they won't vibrate or bend as much.

Most folks turning bowls use bowl gouges for most of the wood removal. PSI carries their own brand of tools(Benjamin's Best) that give good value for the money IMO. Doug Thompson makes the best tools in my book. They are more expensive but are worth considering once you really get into turning.

David Walser
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I was talking to a friend, he mentioned cheap lathe chisels can break. I read a couple weeks ago that the Harbor freight chisel set is a good deal for starters. They have the 16in set for 45ish for 8 pieces and they have the 10in set for 10dollars.

Would that be an issue, or would they just get dull really fast? Safety is a concern. Thanks.

Radek,

There are two turning tool sets to consider at HF: #35444 and #47066. Here are the links to both:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066

The more expensive set (the one with the dark wood handles) is the better value. It comes with some larger tools (1 1/8" v. 1" skew and 3/8" v. 1/4" "detail" spindle gouge). Both sets are made from good quality high speed steel (HSS). Until recently, HSS was the cat's meow for turning tools. (HSS is a significant improvement over high carbon steel, which was the standard steel used until just over a decade ago.) Now you can get tools made from more exotic steels that will hold an edge longer than HSS. (Doug Thompson makes some of the best examples of these higher-tech tools.) However, one of these tools is apt to cost more than the entire HSS tool set from HF -- in some cases, one tool will cost a lot more.

I strongly believe a beginning turner is well served to start out with an inexpensive set of tools made from HSS. One of the things you need to learn is how to sharpen your own tools. That's easier to do with HSS. (The newer steels are more resistant to wear -- which makes them last longer and also makes it take longer to sharpen.) It's also easier to do with an inexpensive tool. You won't hessitate to go back to the grinder if your edge isn't cutting right if you're not worried about wasting money. Once you're comfortable sharpening your own tools, replace your inexpensive ones with "brand name" tools as your old ones wear out.

Please note: The HF tool set is NOT for bowl turning. Some of the tools will be used in bowl turning, but you'll still need a bowl gouge. Also note that the HF tool set is NOT the only game in town. Penn State sells a similar set as do other vendors.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Scott Conners
10-20-2008, 2:21 PM
I love my HF set, really great for learning/experimenting with grinds. They only had the light handled set when I bought mine, and I have noticed that they dull more quickly than my expensive tools, but for less than I paid for one good gouge, it gave me all the basic tools and they work very well.

Anchorseal is very worth using, I was using plain wax before I got some, and the emulsion is FAR easier to work with, cleans up easily, and dries quickly. It changes color as it dries, so it's easy to tell.

Thomas Canfield
10-20-2008, 9:29 PM
Craft Supply has a large selection of slimline and other pens that use the same bushings and drill bit. A lot of kits require different size bushings and drill bits, often MM size not in your standard drill bit selection. Starting out, I recommend working with the basic style and changing the finish for different woods, or even different styles (including staff pens) that allow you to use the basics. I also recommend buying extra tubes to make more blanks than you have kits to cover the damaged blanks or ones that you don't meet your expectations.

You can also go on to modify the slim line design to eliminate the center band and other tricks.