PDA

View Full Version : DW735 is alive with a shelix!!!

Jeff Monson
10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Well I received my shelix head for my dewalt planer on friday and finally installed it tonight.

Installation took about an hour, would have been about 30 minutes but my bearings came out VERY hard. They suggest tapping out the old head and bearings but mine took more than tapping. Other than that installation is a piece of cake. I'd also recemmond getting new bearings, the old bearings came off the shaft fairly easy but for the 18$ I'd change them out, they are just a standard 6202 and a 6204 bearing if you get in a pinch.

I also took my blower fan out of the cage also, I hate the built in dc system as it blows my hose off at times and makes a HUGE mess, so with a 1800cfm dust collector I opted to remove the fan, this is also very easy, just 2 allen screws and 2 flip wires and the cage is apart. I see no reason why this would affect the drive motor, but you're on your own if you opt to do the same. I think the drive motor will be cooled with the suction of the dc as well as it was cooled with the blower wheel.

Now on to the good stuff, I fired up the machine and it has a COMPLETELY different tone, it does have a slight vibration, nothing to worry about but I'm assuming its from the different head. Its twice as quiet as it used to be without the blower fan. I went straight for the heart and ran a piece of 8" hard maple through it 1/32nd cut and it cuts like never before!!!! Its sooooo much quiter when cutting that I swore I it wasn't making a complete cut but it was, I then cranked it down for a 1/16" cut and it hardly made the motor bog, again a super smooth cut.

I sent some cherry and pine through after that, it didn't even change the pitch of the motor!! The pieces were only 4" wide but again a completely different machine. The dust collection was also better, there were always chips laying beside the board on the bed of the planer and now I have little if none.

In a nutshell I couldnt be happier with this upgrade, the machine seems to have much more power, its WAY WAY quiter and cuts very nice.

As far as removing the blower fan, mine wont be going back on anytime soon, but you're on your own with that advice.

glenn bradley
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Great stuff there. Was the head from Byrd? About how much $$$. Glad it is working out so well.

Jeff Monson
10-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Glenn,

The head was purchased from Holbren, Brian was very good to deal with, he kept us up to date with the purchase info as it took about 3 weeks to get. I got in on an early buy at 339.00 with an additional 10% off at time of order.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice! thanks for the feedback.

Brent Grooms
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
what speed do you have yours set to?

Jeff Monson
10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
All the cuts I made were on the fast speed, havent had time to try it on the slow speed cut yet.

Michael Sobik
10-20-2008, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the update! I've been waiting to hear from someone who's gotten theirs installed.

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 6:13 PM
No pics, didn't happen. Let's see some pics!! :D

Peter Quinn
10-20-2008, 6:28 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback. I have a 735 in the corner waiting for a purpose and that head might give mine new meaning. The heads from Holbren are Byrd heads no?

Jeff Monson
10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
No pics, didn't happen. Let's see some pics!! :D

Chris, I really dont know what to photo? The installation photos are right on the money, the cuts are very smooth, I'd compare them to a brand new set of knives on the original head, with 1/3 the noise. I just ran some curly cherry through it that my old knives had a heck of a time without some chipout and it cut the board flawlessly! I had so much fun I ruined a nice 3/4" board, now its only 1/2" thick :( . Its a MAJOR improvement on this machine.

My only real complaints were the blower unit and the knives that wore out WAY to quickly and I believe they are both solved.

Jeff Monson
10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback. I have a 735 in the corner waiting for a purpose and that head might give mine new meaning. The heads from Holbren are Byrd heads no?

Yes Peter, the head is a byrd head

Chris Padilla
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Chris, I really dont know what to photo? The installation photos are right on the money, the cuts are very smooth, I'd compare them to a brand new set of knives on the original head, with 1/3 the noise. I just ran some curly cherry through it that my old knives had a heck of a time without some chipout and it cut the board flawlessly! I had so much fun I ruined a nice 3/4" board, now its only 1/2" thick :( . Its a MAJOR improvement on this machine.

My only real complaints were the blower unit and the knives that wore out WAY to quickly and I believe they are both solved.

Some pics of the resulting board (before/after would be nice)...shots of the chips...shots of the Shelix...do I really gotta spell it out fer ya?! ;)

:D