PDA

View Full Version : Robust Tools LLC

Eugene Wigley
10-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know how long Robust Tools LLC has been in business? Has anyone had dealings with them? Some of the dealers listed on the Robust web site do not seem to have Robust Lathes listed on the dealers web site. Did you buy direct from Robust or go through a dealer? Are you satisfied? Any other comments?

Thanks in advance

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Eugene, Christopher Hartley picked up a Robust a number of months ago and absolutely loves it! If I remember correctly he dealt directly with the owner Brent English. Both are members of SMC and you should be able to find Chris' post of when he got his American Beauty all set up. Brent has a toll free number on his site and my understanding is that he is more than willing to answer any and all questions about his lathes.

http://www.turnrobust.com/

Hope that helps.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I had the opporturnity to turn on Chris Hartley's Robust American Beauty last year and it is, indeed, an American Beauty .....top shelf. You pay top dollar and you get top shelf! It runs with the big dogs and holds it own! Robust has a website. IIRC, you could wait a few weeks if you order one. He waits until he has 3 orders and then builds them 3 at a time IIRC. Chris also had the swingout tailstock IIRC.
IIRC they are built near Milwaukee, WI.

Neal Addy
10-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I noticed at the SWAT symposium this weekend that they only provided Stubbys and Robusts for their demonstrator line-up. The poor devils suffered through it pretty well with no complaints. ;)

Dick Strauss
10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Eugene,
IIRC many of the pro turners (including Bill Grumbine) are going with Robust lathes. I think both Bill and Chris went directly through Brent English (owner). I've heard nothing but good things about Brent's top-notch service to his customers. According to the Robust website, he has been in business since 2004. Here is some info and a few testimonials:
http://www.turnrobust.com/About_Us.html

I turned on Chris Hartley's Robust lathe briefly and was extremely impressed. All I kept saying to myself was Wow! I couldn't find one fault! The lathe is so quiet you almost can't tell it is running.

If I had that kind of money around, Brent would have another order in a hurry!

David Walser
10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
...Some of the dealers listed on the Robust web site do not seem to have Robust Lathes listed....

Not all the links on the Robust website are to people who sell the lathes. For example, IIRC, Don Pencil has a link, but Don does not sell Robust lathes. Don supplies the face plates that come with the lathes. In addition to lathes, Robust makes toolrests. So, some of the links might be to people who sell the toolrests.

Cyril Griesbach
10-20-2008, 9:03 AM
Contact Brent directly through his web site. He's a terrific guy.

Reed Gray
10-20-2008, 1:09 PM
I bought my Robust directly from Brent. I love it. I stepped up from a PM3520A that I used and abused for about 8 years. The main reason I stepped up was I wantes some thing a bit bigger, and more horse power. I wanted a sliding headstock in part because my lathe is in a corner, and turning outboard isn't an option for me, and the sliding headstock means never having to bend over the bed of the lathe for turning anything. A real back saver. The machine has 3 speed ranges which is an added bonus, especially if you turn big. I will probably never really put the full throw into serious use as big is a specialty market, but if I want to, I can. Production time is about 3 months, and a bit more. I am still learning to use this lathe, as I have only turned maybe 200 bowls on it since getting it this summer. I have adjusted the lower end speed to go down to almost zero. It came so that it would shut off at about 50 rpm. I need the slower speeds for sanding my warped bowls. I also (with Brents help in both instances) did another adjustment for more torque (new ones come with this adjustment already made), and may do more adjustments for higher rpm. I never knew the converters could do so many things. The only thing I didn't like about it was that in order to slide the headstock, you had to loosen 2 nuts with a wrench. Brent now has a handle mechanism that you can get so you just move the handle, similar to what the PM does, but the Robust has 2 bolts that go through to the pressure plate, not one. I have a friend who doesn't mind the bolt and nut thing. For me, I was always wanting to fine tune the placement, and would move the PM all the time depending on what size of bowl or other thing I was making. I have the tilt away tailstock accessory, and almost never use it. I almost never use the tailstock when turning bowls, and I would need to have the lathe out from the wall another 6 inches or so, and there isn't that much room in my turning room. The tailstock doesn't seem as heavy as the one on the PM, and is easier to mount, you can actually rest it on the ways and line up the pressure plate, rather than supporting the weight with your hands and body while trying to line up the pressure plate with the PM. Also it is made in the USA. The only other made in the USA lathe is the Serious lathe, and it doesn't have a sliding headstock. You do pay top dollar for this lathe, but it is worth it. It is a big step up from my PM.
robo hippy

Gary Herrmann
10-20-2008, 1:19 PM
I checked a lot of lathe specs when I was upgrading. I really wanted to get the Robust lathe, but couldn't justify the cost. I got a great deal on the 3520b from Toolnut. The Robust is a better lathe than the 3520b. It costs over twice as much as what I got my lathe for. Is it twice as good of a lathe? I don't know, but it is very impressive. I'm happy with my PM, but if I had the disposable income, I'd buy a Robust in a second.

Rob Sack
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
How does the Robust compare with the One Way?

Reed Gray
10-22-2008, 12:18 AM
The biggest difference that I am aware of is that the Robust has a sliding headstock, and the Oneway doesn't. If you put your lathe out in the middle of the floor, you can turn bowls outboard with the Oneway. If you have it in a corner, like my Robust, you have to lean over the ways to turn out the inside of a bowl, and boxes. The Robust has a 25 inch throw, the Oneway 24.
robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
While I haven't turned on a Oneway, I have seen them. I have turned on a Robust American Beauty. They both appear to be top knotch. If I was in the market for either one (I can't afford either and I bought a PM3520B) I would compare bearing specs, motor specs etc. I suspect they are very similar. They both are excellent lathes IMHO.

Jim Becker
10-22-2008, 9:47 AM
If you are considering purchase of a lathe in this class, I suggest strongly that you do what you need to do to actually turn on each of the machines you are considering. This is the only way to insure that you will be physically comfortable with how each is constructed. How you turn and what you turn will affect that greatly.

Case in point, and something I've spoken about before...when I was moving up, I did take the time to turn on a variety of machines that were in my potential sights. As wonderfully constructed as the big OneWay machines are, I didn't feel comfortable in the least turning on them. (I already owned a little OneWay and already knew of the quality) My primary turning focus on bowls and hollowforms meant that my comfortable body position was interfered with by the big tube construction of the OneWay. The only machine I truly felt good at was the Stubby and that's what I bought. Same general cost as the big OneWay, but a better investment for me and frankly, a better fit in my shop, too.

Each of these non-mass producer lathe manufacturers can supply you with referral to users of their machines so you can get a close look and hopefully some spinning time on the tools. (Bring your own tools and safety gear) That's the best way to proceed, IMHO, when you are going to invest $4500-6000 in a high-end lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 9:54 AM
Be advised, however, $4500-6000 is at the bottom end price range for these type of lathes........you can go well over $10,0000....top price..top shelf lathes.

Reed Gray
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I thought of another difference, the Robust has adjustable legs for setting the lathe to height. I had my PM up on 4 x 4s.
robo hippy

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-22-2008, 8:03 PM
Here's a rough turned Vessel I recently turned. It's a Huge 24" dia 454 lb piece of walnut turned on a friends Robust. It easily handled this piece. I don't know of many others that could have done this. It turned this piece quietly & smoothly with no vibration.
If Cost was no object I'd diffenetly get one!!!

Wilbur Pan
10-22-2008, 8:43 PM
Joe, that's really impressive. Quick question: any concerns with the pith running through the center of your vessel? I always thought that having the pith in a turned piece was generally a no-no.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-22-2008, 8:58 PM
Here's a rough turned Vessel I recently turned. It's a Huge 24" dia 454 lb piece of walnut turned on a friends Robust. It easily handled this piece. I don't know of many others that could have done this. It turned this piece quietly & smoothly with no vibration.
If Cost was no object I'd diffenetly get one!!!
Wilbur
I always center my vessels on the pith's center. I"m not to concerned about it because I hollow all the way down to about 5/8" inch or less from the bottom depending on the size of the vessel. The hollowing removes all the pith except for the very bottom. So far I have roughed out about 20 or so vessels this way & haven't had a problem.
I do have a friend who has done some where around 500 or so vessels like this & has had some crack at the pith but really not many. I think the drying process has alot to do with the cracking or lack there of cracking.

Eugene Wigley
10-26-2008, 6:52 PM
Thanks for all the help. When I posted the questions about Robust Tools I had never heard of them. After I saw the first few replies to my questions I was impressed. I talked with the lady at Robust Tools before I went out of town on business. She was a lot of help, very patient, and answered all of my guestions. I need to turn both spindles for furniture and bowls. If I can build the necessary skill I would like to turn hollow forms. I think the Robust lathe is the best choice for a lathe that can do all of these types of turning. I also think that the Robust will last a long time and is well designed and built. This is reflected in the price that I will have to pay. When I add the extension, tilt away tail stock, 3HP motor, crating fee, and shipping it will be more money than I had budgeted for a lathe. I may have to save for a month or two before I can get one but it will be worth it.
Thanks to all who responded to my request for information. I do not know anything about lathes. I may have made the wrong decision without your help.

John Gornall
10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd sure like to try a Robust - have had a brief introduction to a big Oneway - they have them on the floor at the turning store down the road from me. You order the Oneway with the spindle height of your choice. There's a concept difference between the two lathes - the Robust has a sliding head so you can slide it down the bed to a suitable length for what you are turning without leaning over the bed. The Oneway has a fixed head with a double ended spindle - same threads and MT inboard and out. Inboard it's a 24" by which length you buy - outboard it can be configured to suit your needs as a short bed, big throw lathe including a tailstock for up to 48 inches diameter. But the dollars add up fast.

David Walser
10-27-2008, 1:54 PM
Robust now makes and sells two lathes: The "American Beauty", with the sliding head stock, and the "Sweet 16". The Sweet 16 has a standard 16" swing -- that can be converted to a 32" swing by removing a gap in the lathe bed. The Sweet 16 looks to be a great do-everything-lathe. It allows 52" between centers for long spindles and a 32" swing for large bowls and platters. That's more capacity than most of us will ever need.