PDA

View Full Version : Penn State....eight n' oh

Terry Achey
10-19-2008, 9:58 PM
Waaahooooo ! Finally blasted Michigan off the field! :D Looking forward to the same against the Buckeyes next Saturday. This is a strong and balanced JoePa team this year and I really hope to see them play for the National Title. (Texas???)

Big Ten is alive and well at Penn State ;)

Terry

Jim Becker
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I was very happy to read about this victory...it will be a happy week in Happy Valley!

Jay Yoder
10-19-2008, 10:07 PM
8-0 but might i ask who they have played? I will be impressed if they can do it on the road this week. Penn State has been playing very well so far, But honestly, this should prove to be their toughest test to date. If they beat OSU then good luck with Texas! I just hope OSU doesnt choke yet again! Should prove to be a good game!

Andrew Derhammer
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Could it get anybetter? Phils and Lions are doing great!! I've forgotten about them eagles.

Christopher Stahl
10-19-2008, 10:54 PM
8-0 but might i ask who they have played? I will be impressed if they can do it on the road this week. Penn State has been playing very well so far, But honestly, this should prove to be their toughest test to date. If they beat OSU then good luck with Texas! I just hope OSU doesnt choke yet again! Should prove to be a good game!

They have blown out both Michigan and Wisconsin, two teams that Ohio State should have lost to, but just got by. They whipped Oregon State, which I would like to remind people knocked off #1 USC. Illiniois, who took Missouri the distance.

When they beat Ohio State, it won't be because OSU choked. ;-)

Ray Schafer
10-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I mean Go State!

I was on the edge of my seat, until PSU woke up and got the game started!

Did I mention Go State?

Ray

Ken Fitzgerald
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a college football fan and Joe Paterno has been one of my favorite coaches that I seldom would bet against....along with a few others.

That being said.......I hope Penn State doesn't get ranked too high.....that seems to be an immediate "kiss of death" this year.:rolleyes:

Neal Clayton
10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
we sure do get a kick out of making fun of Big 10 football in the SEC lately, but if nick saban is our only hope, screw it, i'd like to see joe win one more on his way out too.

Ray Schafer
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree. Since he only has ten or fifteen seasons left, he needs to get the wins while he still has time left!

Kevin Arceneaux
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I would love to play Bama for the BCS. We always had great games with them in the past/

Bob Moyer
10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I loved the win but it exposed PSU's weaknesses on defense which is team speed. Pryor will be a HUGE problem on Saturday; he has tremendous ability and speed and the ability to cutback which has always been a problem for the Lion's defenses.

I see this game as a high scoring one but; with the home field advantage it wll need a monumental effort for PSU to win. They need to play a perfect game and force some key turnovers.

My unfortunate prediction is OSU 38 PSU 30

Christopher Stahl
10-20-2008, 7:06 PM
Predictions are fun. PSU 38 OSU 21

Rob Bodenschatz
10-20-2008, 7:20 PM
They have blown out both Michigan and Wisconsin, two teams that Ohio State should have lost to, but just got by. They whipped Oregon State, which I would like to remind people knocked off #1 USC. Illiniois, who took Missouri the distance.

When they beat Ohio State, it won't be because OSU choked. ;-)

Great answer to a lame question.

Chris Kennedy
10-20-2008, 7:58 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I did my second degree at Michigan. Consequently, despite Michigan's overall losing record so far, this loss was clearly a fluke.:D

And being a Michigan fan, I will therefore support whoever is playing against OSU. So, in the words of an earlier poster,

GO STATE.

Cheers,

Chris

Terry Achey
10-21-2008, 9:47 PM
Great dialogue guys :).

I'm sure many fans were concerned early in the Michigan game. However, I noticed early in the season that this team has the ability and the tendancy to "test the waters" early in the game and then make the necassary adjustments to rebalance their game plan. They don't rattle easily and they maintain composure very well. Wonderful attributes to have especailly when playing in "hostile territory". I credit virtually all of this to great all around coaching. Of course, there is much to be said for the excellent talent these kids are exhibiting this year, too.

I think they can handle the Buckeyes. Easily?... no. Ohio always has a tough team. This is the year for the Lions to make their statement by beating all the Big Ten opponents and moving on THE bowl game.

Bob, Bob, Bob.... how can a Berks County guy predict Ohio??? Gotta get that BLUE MoJo flowin' Bob :D

Ken, you're right about the curse of #1. I'm hopong they peak just at the right time! #2 is a great place to sit in waiting ;).

Looking forward to the battle on Saturday!

Terry

Rob Bodenschatz
10-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Gonna be a lot of channel flipping Saturday night.

Robert McGowen
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
My oldest kid started at the University of Texas the year that Vince Young went pro. He was not happy because he thought that he would be at the school when U.T. was ranked #1 and Young was the quarterback. I guess he got part of his wish though, as he is a senior this year and U.T. is #1.

I did not mean to highjack the thread, I was just a little confused as I thought that EVERYONE was a Texas fan! :D I have HEARD of Penn State though, if that helps! :p

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
My oldest kid started at the University of Texas the year that Vince Young went pro. He was not happy because he thought that he would be at the school when U.T. was ranked #1 and Young was the quarterback. I guess he got part of his wish though, as he is a senior this year and U.T. is #1.

I did not mean to highjack the thread, I was just a little confused as I thought that EVERYONE was a Texas fan! :D I have HEARD of Penn State though, if that helps! :p

Let's see Robert.....You are the only one to mention U.T. and you didn't mean to hijack the thread?:confused: I suppose you'd believe me if I said "No officer, I'm nnnoootttt enibriatedddddddd.....I jjjjust cccclimbed...ouuuuttttt offfff...the.......dddddentissstttttssss chairrrrrrr..............:eek::rolleyes::D

Robert McGowen
10-22-2008, 1:24 AM
Waaahooooo ! Finally blasted Michigan off the field! :D Looking forward to the same against the Buckeyes next Saturday. This is a strong and balanced JoePa team this year and I really hope to see them play for the National Title. (Texas???)

Terry

The OP opened the door. I just walked in! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 8:36 AM
My apologies Robert.

Bob Moyer
10-22-2008, 9:34 AM
Great dialogue guys :).

I'm sure many fans were concerned early in the Michigan game. However, I noticed early in the season that this team has the ability and the tendancy to "test the waters" early in the game and then make the necassary adjustments to rebalance their game plan. They don't rattle easily and they maintain composure very well. Wonderful attributes to have especailly when playing in "hostile territory". I credit virtually all of this to great all around coaching. Of course, there is much to be said for the excellent talent these kids are exhibiting this year, too.

I think they can handle the Buckeyes. Easily?... no. Ohio always has a tough team. This is the year for the Lions to make their statement by beating all the Big Ten opponents and moving on THE bowl game.

Bob, Bob, Bob.... how can a Berks County guy predict Ohio??? Gotta get that BLUE MoJo flowin' Bob :D

Ken, you're right about the curse of #1. I'm hopong they peak just at the right time! #2 is a great place to sit in waiting ;).

Looking forward to the battle on Saturday!

Terry

Terry,

I hope they have better success against Pryor than they did against the last PA QB they couldn't beat (Henne); I have been a Penn State fan before (deep breath) Paterno was head coach :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

This is the first year in the last 25 that I do not have a nephew at PSU; so I have seen a lot of games from the student section. I really do hope they win; but; this is the first game they are being tested by a very passing and running game at the same time. I will be doing a lot of channel switching between the Lions and the Phillies.

Ray Schafer
10-22-2008, 9:39 AM
Who are the Phillies?

Justin Leiwig
10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Coming from a Buckeye, this years PSU team scares the crap out of me. Of course if Ohio State plays like they did last week and PSU plays like they did last week then PSU will have a tough second half coming back against OSU's defense. That being said I'm not going to predict or bet on this game because it's just too close to call! :eek:

alex grams
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Should be a good game. Texas has some tough tests, but will see how they do.

I personally would like to see JoePa win it all. Even though he beat us last year in the bowl game (A&M), he is a guy you just have to like. Old men who say what they think and are decades beyond trying to dance around saying something the 'nice way' and just come out and say it are the best kind of people.

(Possibly mild hi-jack)

My worst fear/frustration would be if for some reason USC won out and it was USC/Texas in the title game. Even coming from a Texas A&M graduate, I would give OU more merit to play Texas in a National Title game than USC, though I know that would be nothing short of impossible Though if I recall correctly that almost happened when tOSU and Michigan were 1/2 at their game 2 years ago(?)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
The thing that makes me like college football better than pro football is the way emotions can play such a big part of the outcome. In college ball you can have one team just beating the daylights out of another....I don't care who is playing....and then one mistake by the team that's in the lead....the team that is being beat picks up momentum and in the end wins the game. This happens so often.....I really like college football and I really don't care who is playing.

alex grams
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
*sidetrack on*

True Ken. College football is more about emotional attachment to the game from the players, which professional is more about a monetary and contractual attachment, though unfortunately it seems lately that more players/schools are getting away from that model.

I enjoy seeing players and coaches who seem to take more pride in what they do and still enjoy the game, the school, and the atmosphere.

Sometimes the pressures, contracts, demands of professional sports seems to take away from the simple joy of the game. People are more worried about stats and contracts and extensions than winning as a team.

*sidetrack off*

Neal Clayton
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I personally would like to see JoePa win it all. Even though he beat us last year in the bowl game (A&M), he is a guy you just have to like. Old men who say what they think and are decades beyond trying to dance around saying something the 'nice way' and just come out and say it are the best kind of people.

one of the funniest things i've seen in recent years was herbstreit interviewing joe at an awards ceremony and making some comment about "i hope it's ok to give an interview to a buckeye".

joe without hesitation said "sure, it's always a pleasure to talk to someone from ohio state who can speak english".

classic ;).

Bob Moyer
10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Perhaps PSU can get this guy to ref the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWdBgUBqw

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 7:37 AM
Good article on Paterno on MSNBC.com:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27295722/

His comments about not being in there "demonstrating" during practice caught my eye. I worked with the team in the fall of 1975 as a "manager" (translated: sideline slave :) ) and got to see first hand how involved and in-your-face Joe liked to be with the team. It was amazing what he could do and how he could motivate the exact behavior he wanted for a given situation. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him to have chosen to back off from that for health reasons.

Secondary to this anecdote is the fact that I've had the "pleasure" of getting yelled at by The Man...'was running late one afternoon getting to practice and made the mistake of appearing on the field in red sweat pants. LOL I never did that again!

Kevin Arceneaux
10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I watched him lay into MAtt Millen in 78. It is amazing to watch a huge player just fold to him.

Jim Becker
10-23-2008, 3:05 PM
I watched him lay into MAtt Millen in 78. It is amazing to watch a huge player just fold to him.

Oh, yea...Joe'd practically chest-butt anyone during the, um...'learnin'... ;) And those boys are definitely big. You sometimes don't realize just how big until you are standing next to them! :eek:

Butch Edwards
10-24-2008, 8:05 AM

Terry

..any time Rich Rodriguez loses, it make me happy!!!

Go Mountaineers....they should be 7-0, but gave away 2 games...they aren't Penn St, but what a record for a rookie head coach..next year they should be better,too !! :D

Jerome Hanby
10-24-2008, 9:18 AM
This thread is killing me. Not because I hate Penn State (which I do), but every time I see it in the New Post listings, I think it's Penn State industries and I think they must have new gadget or a big sale :D

Kevin Arceneaux
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
This thread is killing me. Not because I hate Penn State (which I do), but every time I see it in the New Post listings, I think it's Penn State industries and I think they must have new gadget or a big sale :D

I used to be a big Bama fan, except when they played PSU. That was until the hired Saban. Now I WILL root for ANYONE to beat them

Butch Edwards
10-25-2008, 7:42 PM
..any time Rich Rodriguez loses, it make me happy!!!

Go Mountaineers....they should be 7-0, but gave away 2 games...they aren't Penn St, but what a record for a rookie head coach..next year they should be better,too !! :D

YES... Michigan lost again!!! :D:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2008, 11:10 PM
How about those Lions?

What a game!

Rob Bodenschatz
10-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Terrelle is still sitting on the bench regretting his decision.

On to the Phils!!!

Christopher Stahl
10-25-2008, 11:48 PM
I smell a National Championship. Bwahahahahaha

Jim Becker
10-26-2008, 6:24 PM
Paterno... "That was a good football game. And I’ve seen a lot of football.” Indeed he has!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27387876/

Jay Yoder
10-26-2008, 9:32 PM
Great game! Congrats to PSU...at least they have a cake remaining schedule! I see the storyline now...Paterno makes "the big game" then wins it and retires...eerily similar to the steelers run with Bettis...hmmm...anyhow! This is PSU's year! Alot of seniors who have made this run! Terrelle appears to be the real deal though! Good luck to PSU!! Enjoy it!! U deserve it!

Terry Achey
10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
What a game! What a nail-biter :o. Old time football all the way. The defenses were simply incredible, holding Beany and Royster to very modest running yardages. I'm absolutely elated about beating Ohio because they are such a great advesary and it's about time we beat them in their house. 30 years is long enough!

Both teams played valiantly and really put on a terrific footbal game. Keep rollin' LIONS.

Terry