PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617 plunge base issue

Jay Yoder
10-19-2008, 9:57 PM
I was in the shop hoping to know a project out quick before the bonfire tonight and ran into the first issue with my router. I had changed the motor to tht plunge base and realized that i needed to change it back. Unfortunately it did not budge! Somehow it had managed to bind itself to the base. finally after about 45 mins of frustration I got it out. I looked but could not see anything major. I have always noticed that the plunge base was a lot tighter. Anyone else have this problem? any ideas of a way to lube the base? I was thinking of using the furniture wax i used on my table say top. Thanks for your input!!

Peter Pedisich
10-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Jay,

I think there was an issue with corrosion caused by contact between the aluminum motor housing and the magnesium base casting.

Some folks here should know more about it.

good luck,

-pete

Jason White
10-20-2008, 3:08 AM
Try some "Slip-It" on the inside of the base. It's a silicone-free wax made for woodworking and tools. Works great!

http://www.slipit.com/home.html

I was in the shop hoping to know a project out quick before the bonfire tonight and ran into the first issue with my router. I had changed the motor to tht plunge base and realized that i needed to change it back. Unfortunately it did not budge! Somehow it had managed to bind itself to the base. finally after about 45 mins of frustration I got it out. I looked but could not see anything major. I have always noticed that the plunge base was a lot tighter. Anyone else have this problem? any ideas of a way to lube the base? I was thinking of using the furniture wax i used on my table say top. Thanks for your input!!

Prashun Patel
10-20-2008, 8:17 AM
Here's a link I made a while ago. I had the same problem. The older housings can oxidize making getting the motor in and out a real bear.

The best way to fix it is to send it in to Bosch. They're fantastic. My router was 2nd hand - no warranty, and they still fixed it for free in a week. I haven't had issues since.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76358&highlight=bosch+1617

One other obvious thing to check: make sure the hex nut that tightens the cam lock is set properly.

Tom Kelley
10-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Jay I have the same router and the same problem. I solved the problem by buffing wax on the motor. It now slips in either base much more easily.

glenn bradley
10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Here's a link I made a while ago. I had the same problem. The older housings can oxidize making getting the motor in and out a real bear.

The best way to fix it is to send it in to Bosch. They're fantastic. My router was 2nd hand - no warranty, and they still fixed it for free in a week. I haven't had issues since.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76358&highlight=bosch+1617

One other obvious thing to check: make sure the hex nut that tightens the cam lock is set properly.

A +1 on Bosch service, they're great. I pre-waxed my Mil routers with paraffin after reading about the Bosch issue. Never had a problem.

Jay Yoder
10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
I ended up using ultra fine steel wool on the inside of the bases, then wiped em clean and waxed them. the motor slipped in the plunge base, but still was very snug. But i was able to get the motor back out. I just will need to be careful and gentle when using it.