PDA

View Full Version : first batch of turkey calls

Terry Achey
10-19-2008, 8:54 PM
Well, turkey season is only a couple weeks away. I've been meaning to try to turn some calls for awhile and so I finally got rountoit. I made eight calls but only pictured four because some were design / wood repeats. I experimented with various sound boards (internal component) and sound board mounts to see how the sound was affected. Glass produced best on slate calls and wood produced best on glass calls. Lexan was not good on either as a sound board. Even the wall and bottom thickness made quite a difference in tone. Type of wood was not critical. I used Bloodwood; Maple Burl; and Maple. Biggest difference however was the length of the top of the striker. Too short created a too high a tone pitch. Learned alot about attaining the right combination of dimension and internal structure.

It was a pleasure to make them and my friends and I will certainly be using some this fall and next spring!

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2008, 9:03 PM
Terry,

Very nicely done! I'm sure you and your friends will enjoy them. What did you use for a finish?

Terry Achey
10-19-2008, 9:32 PM
Thank you, Ken. I used danish oil and then buffed with tripoli, white diamond and carnuba wax for several calls. I also tried minwax wipe on poly on a few. While the wax looks good initially, the wipe on poly is probably more appropriate in terms of holding up to alot handling.

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2008, 9:38 PM
Terry - great looking calls! Something to consider with the carnuba wax - it shows water spots real bad! I would think the Minwax Poly would hold up better under field conditions. Best of luck with your turkey hunting! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2008, 9:44 PM
Great looking calls. I agree with Steve that if they get wet the carnuba will certainly show the water spots.

Terry Achey
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks much for the tip, Bernie and Steve. I wasn't aware that carnuba reacted that way. I will certainly go for the poly finish on the next "batch".

As an aside, it probably won't cause too much grief on this batch because slate calls are 100% ineffective when wet. No friction.... no sound, when even the slightest drizzle hits the slate. Most hunters turn to mouth calls during wet weather.

Terry

Clara Koss
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
such very nice callers!!!! even if you don't hunt they look like interesting peices to place on a table!!!! lovely... thanks for positng...:p

Tom Wilson66
10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Great job, look great. I would like to make one for my son-in-law. Where could I get plans or instructions?

Skip Spaulding
10-21-2008, 7:22 AM
Great looking calls! Don't forget to let us know the results. Nothing better than than a bird you got yourself for Thanksgiving.

Terry Achey
10-21-2008, 9:25 PM
Thank you, Carla for the nice comment.

Tom,
Send a private message to me with your email and I'll send a PDF sketch with all the dimensions; my turning method; and a source for slate and glass.

Skip,
I'll be sure to boast (er... I mean report) on any success I may have with the calls :D

Terry

Terry Achey
11-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Turns out the new calls work very well ;). Thanksgiving bird is now in the freezer!

Terry

Dewey Torres
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Alright Terry! Thanks for sharing.