PDA

View Full Version : Glass engraving picture??

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2008, 8:51 PM
Hi people,

Would someone be kind enough to show me a picture they used to engrave a mirror and a pic of the finished mirror.

I have been messing with a dog pic but I am not sure what it should look like in terms of contrast and whiteness before I laser. I am getting pretty much garbage so far.

If I could get a look at the pic and the after-engrave then I can hassle with Corel until I get it close to what it should look like.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Bratton
10-19-2008, 9:03 PM
Hi people,

Would someone be kind enough to show me a picture they used to engrave a mirror and a pic of the finished mirror.

I have been messing with a dog pic but I am not sure what it should look like in terms of contrast and whiteness before I laser. I am getting pretty much garbage so far.

If I could get a look at the pic and the after-engrave then I can hassle with Corel until I get it close to what it should look like.

Thanks in advance.
Dave:
Look on this link to my website. The one of the African Leopard is on regular clear glass. It is mounted to a black base, which gives the contrast. Please note though that this was done using Photograv software to prepare the photo for engraving. It can be prepared using other methods but if your not a pretty experienced graphics software user, you may get some frustrating results with photos.
http://www.catawbariversigns.com/crs2_002.htm

Frank Corker
10-19-2008, 9:10 PM
Here is a picture and a pretty good one if I don't mind saying so myself. Attached you will find a zipped file with the files used for the engraving.

1)The original photograph where I removed the background and arranged the photo (this was orignally 3 different photographs). Background has to be white.

2)The image I actually used to engrave with. 300dpi flipped horizontal (has to be done with a mirror).

3)The final picture is the finished result. (Smaller copy is shown below).

..don't be flogging it off as your own either or I'll hunt you down for the rest of your life! :D

Don Gares
10-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Frank, what version of PhotoGrav did you use?

Don

Frank Corker
10-20-2008, 7:18 AM
I think when I did that one I used 2.11

Dee Gallo
10-20-2008, 8:15 AM
Frank,

As usual, you've shown an outstanding example. One question: since the OP was about mirror, was this a mirror or glass? If it's a mirror, how did you take the picture without reflections??!! (okay, maybe that was 2 questions...)

Really, this is a beautiful family portrait, expertly done!

cheers, dee

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2008, 8:30 AM
Attached you will find a zipped file with the files used for the engraving.

Thanks Frank, I have cut a small portion from that BMP and will try various settings on this laser. From my results yesterday I am getting the feeling that this windows 3.1 driver will not do pics very well anyway. I guess I can't have everything since the laser cost me nothing but time and about $200 to get going.

At least with the crop I can see what is possible. I doubt I would bother with photgrav as this is not an engraving business and if the sample does engrave OK, then I will do what I can with what I have t make it look like your BMP.

Thanks so much for providing the sequence.

..don't be flogging it off as your own either or I'll hunt you down for the rest of your life! :D

:eek: Right, sure and I am the only one who can download that .zip. ;);)

Frank Corker
10-20-2008, 8:59 AM
Frank,

As usual, you've shown an outstanding example. One question: since the OP was about mirror, was this a mirror or glass? If it's a mirror, how did you take the picture without reflections??!! (okay, maybe that was 2 questions...)

Really, this is a beautiful family portrait, expertly done!

cheers, dee

Hi Dee, thank you for your comment. I'm afraid I don't know what 'OP' means, I think it might be a TLA (two letter abbrieviation). This is a mirror and it was engraved from the back. To take the photograph I had to take it from a slight angle with a clean blank wall behind me, either that or I'm a vampire and no reflections would be visible anyway..... well maybe just the camera!

Dee Gallo
10-20-2008, 9:25 AM
Sorry, Frank, that's OP "original post"-

So you ARE actually supernatural! Being a vampire doesn't make you a bad person, does it? We still love you here, that's for sure. Thanks for another great lesson in how it can be done.

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
it might be a TLA (two letter abbrieviation).

Hmmmmm.....so that means "TLA" is a TLA?

John Schulz
10-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Hmmmmm.....so that means "TLA" is a TLA?

No Steve, what you're thinkin' here on "TLA" is actually TLA! (THREE letter abreviation)

Frank would tell you that but probably wants to keep you guessing - I guess...

JJS