PDA

View Full Version : Basswood for internal framing?

Paul Downes
05-20-2004, 8:43 PM
I will probably be dropping some large basswood trees this summer and was wondering if the wood is good for internal framing on drawers and the like. These monster trees are dominating the surrounding forest and the land owners both want them removed. I hate to waste wood that is probably clear of defects. There are 8-10 trees all 3'+ in diameter.

Bruce Page
05-20-2004, 9:03 PM
Basswood is heavily used in the furniture industry so you should not have any problems. My sister has a nice “cherry” bedroom set that is actually basswood finished to look like cherry! :eek: :eek:
It is also a good carving wood.

Chris Padilla
05-20-2004, 9:22 PM
Paul,

That sounds like some choice wood to harvest--Congrats! It'll be a lot of work but it will hopefully yield a lot of nice lumber to use. Find a local miller or someone who hauls a woodmizer on the back of their truck. They can drive out there and slice all that wood up for you to dry.

Basswood will be absolutely fine to use for whatever projects you might dream up. Perhaps you'll find some nice figure in those 8-10 trees! Best of luck to you...post pics of the felling, cutting, and drying. Sigh, I could just sit and watch wood dry for hours and hours...not paint, but wood I could! :D

Paul Downes
05-21-2004, 3:32 PM
Well, I ran into one of the two landowners at Menards today and he informed me that he's got 8-10 basswoods in his woods that he wants out. That makes 20 or more trees between the two of them. Yikes, it looks like a busy summer. Also my engineer partner at work informed me that a relative wants a 'few' walnuts out of his yard. I don't know where I'm going to find the time. I think I need to get or build a sawmill soonest. I got wood coming out of my ears.

David Rose
05-21-2004, 7:17 PM
Hmmm... I thought basswood was as soft as balsa, though it is classified as a hardwood. Live and learn.

David

Jamie Buxton
05-21-2004, 7:36 PM
Hmmm... I thought basswood was as soft as balsa, though it is classified as a hardwood. Live and learn.

David

David ---
Technically, balsa is a hardwood!
No, I'm not kidding. Look it up in most any wood book -- for instance, Bruce Hoadley's Identifying Wood.

Jamie

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 7:41 PM
The words hard and soft are often taken literally when talking about trees. Obviously, that isn't always true! :) Pick up balsa or even poplar and compare to southern yellow pine. Even soft maple is a misnomer...it isn't soft by any means!!

Coniferous vs. Deciduous....

Tim Sproul
05-21-2004, 8:49 PM
I got wood coming out of my ears.

You do realize that is a GOOD thing... :p

I am quite envious!

David Rose
05-22-2004, 5:34 PM
I've been working we some Western Cedar lately and I am just sick of wood that dents if you exhale on it too firmly. :D If I had a nice spread out work area it would help. Squeezed into a small space, and being sometimes a little clutzy it is tough to get much done without a gentle bump here and there.

Even working with hard hardwoods can be frustrating. Why do most gentle bumps occur on sharp finished edges? I mean I understand "buttered side down". Butter is heavy. ;)

David