PDA

View Full Version : SWAT 2008 Photos

Neal Addy
10-19-2008, 7:58 PM
Hi all,

For those who are interested, I've posted photos of this weekend's SWAT 2008 symposium here:

SWAT 2008 Photo Gallery (http://www.nealaddy.org/index.php?q=g2data&g2_itemId=14)

This is an annual event held by the South West Association of Turners. This year the group met in Waco, Texas.

The instant gallery album is definitely worth a visit.

Also, there is a full photo series of the Binh Pho demo, walking you all the way through his thin-walled bowl process. Unfortunately, Art Liestman did very little turning during his teapot demo so there wasn't much to photograph.

BTW, the last two photos in the Binh Pho album show how he begins his trademark winged bowl. It scares me to death just thinking of hollowing that thing.

My apologies to anyone whose work I did not photograph. There were too many great pieces to get them all.

Hope you enjoy!

Neal

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2008, 9:33 PM
Great photos Neal! Looks like you have gotten used to your new camera! Also looks like it must have been a great time at the symposium! Would have been a real treat to see the masters at work! Did you have any of your work on display? Thanks for sharing the photos!

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2008, 9:42 PM
Great pictures Neal. Really liked those of Binh Pho. Enjoyed his demo's at Richmand.

Neal Addy
10-19-2008, 9:51 PM
Thanks, Steve and Bernie. It was a fun time and I enjoyed meeting quite a few of my on-line colleagues.

Steve, I didn't show anything in the instant gallery this year. I didn't even firm up plans to go until mid September. By then it was too late to enter.

Thanks for the comments, Bernie. Binh's thin-wall demo was definitely fun to watch. He's not only a great turner but also a good entertainer. His finished bowl was around 1/16" thick in the end. Every time he stuck his scraper in for those last cuts you could sense the audience hold its breath.

Richard Madison
10-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks Neal. Enjoyed your pictures.

Dick Strauss
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Neal,
Thanks for the pictures. Did you see the day 2 Donald Derry demo on Christmas ornaments I saw mentioned on WC? What did you think?

Has anyone else seen Donald Derry do a demo (enough d's for ya)?

Our local club might have an opportunity to see him demo and was wondering how worthwhile it will be.

Thanks in advance,
Dick

Neal Addy
10-20-2008, 3:24 PM
Dick, I didn't see Don Derry do a demo, darn it.

(I think I hurt myself :eek: )

But if your club has the opportunity I'd grab it.

Keith Christopher
10-20-2008, 7:16 PM
I LOVE the ones by Binh Pho !

Neal Addy
10-20-2008, 8:03 PM
Thanks Keith. I had a good viewing angle but I was standing in the back of the room using a long lens for those. I was glad they came out. Image DSC_9472 (third from the end) shows my actual perspective.

BTW, the last two photos in the Binh Pho album show how he begins his signature winged bowl. Imagine trying to hollow that thing!

Keith Christopher
10-20-2008, 9:36 PM
have any pictures of the winged bowl ? Or did I just miss them ?

Neal Addy
10-20-2008, 9:42 PM
Unfortunately he only mounted a winged blank to show us how he started such a piece. It would have been fun to watch him actually turn it.

A couple of examples of his winged bowl are shown in the instant gallery album. Here's my favorite:

http://www.nealaddy.org/index.php?q=g2data&g2_itemId=86

Keith Christopher
10-21-2008, 7:12 AM
Unfortunately he only mounted a winged blank to show us how he started such a piece. It would have been fun to watch him actually turn it.

A couple of examples of his winged bowl are shown in the instant gallery album. Here's my favorite:

http://www.nealaddy.org/index.php?q=g2data&g2_itemId=86

Ahh I guess I didn't think of these as winged. Yeah I saw those.