PDA

View Full Version : Good pin nailer.

Chris Rosenberger
10-19-2008, 7:13 PM
I just tossed my cheep pin nailer in the trash. I want to get a good pin nailer.
What is a good one to get?

William OConnell
10-19-2008, 7:22 PM
I just tossed my cheep pin nailer in the trash. I want to get a good pin nailer.
What is a good one to get?
Grex or cadex

Casey Gooding
10-19-2008, 7:27 PM
The guys at Popular Woodworking are constantly singing the praises of Grex. They look great, but a bit pricey for me.

Matt Ocel
10-19-2008, 7:43 PM
When you say "pin" nailer, It would help if you specified what guage or what task you intend to perform with the nailer.

Graham Skinner
10-19-2008, 7:59 PM
Hi.

I have a Nikle NS2340, it is a good pin gun for the money ($179.00) and can shoot both headless pins, or the 23 gauge brad nails up to 1 9/16" long. http://www.nikletools.com/page_brad.html
I did read a review of the NS2340,where Gary Katz said the hand grip was to small for his large hands , but I have never had the same problem.

Hope this is helpfull...Graham...

James Williams 007
10-19-2008, 8:20 PM
I have had the porter cable for a while and love it. It goes for around a 100 and it feels great in my hand!

Andy Casiello
10-19-2008, 8:27 PM
I have had the porter cable for a while and love it. It goes for around a 100 and it feels great in my hand!

Same here. Have the PC and it works great.

Bill Arnold
10-19-2008, 8:31 PM
Chris,

I've had one from Harbor Freight for years. It's proven reliable and you can't beat the price.

Bill Arnold
10-19-2008, 8:32 PM
When you say "pin" nailer, It would help if you specified what guage or what task you intend to perform with the nailer.
A pin nailer uses 23ga. "nails". That's why it's called a "pin" nailer -- more like pins than nails.

;)

Jim McFarland
10-19-2008, 8:48 PM
Another vote for the Grex -- you can get starter kit with P635 and 3,000 pins for ~$200 here:
http://thefastenercompany.com/grex_p635_grex_p635.htm

I've purchased a few things from thefastenercompany and highly recommend.

Ted Shrader
10-19-2008, 9:22 PM
Same here. Have the PC and it works great.Yep. Works well for me, too. Price is right. The PC nailer is small enough to be easily maneuverable to get in places other can't.

Ted

Matt Ocel
10-19-2008, 9:26 PM
A pin nailer uses 23ga. "nails". That's why it's called a "pin" nailer -- more like pins than nails.

;)

We've always refered to a 18g as a pin nailer. We refer to 23g as a needle nailer. Thats why I asked.

Don Morris
10-19-2008, 9:30 PM
I have a Grex and while somewhat costly, your criteria was "Good". The Grex then must be one of those that you consider as it sure is good.

Dave Lehnert
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
I have the Senco brand and it works well.

Jim Becker
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I also have the Grex and it is really good quality. Faded and Nickle would also be on my radar if I were buying today.

Chris Rosenberger
10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
WOW!!!
Thanks for all of the replies.
The gun I threw in the trash was a Spotnail brand. I got it off of Ebay a couple of years ago for around $100. I bought it because I needed a gun that would shoot 3/8" pins. At the time it was the only gun I could find to do it. The problem with with the gun was that the magazine was junk. I do not use it much. So when I need it, I do not want to have problems. Somehow the the springs on the magazine cover would slide over the pins. Then it is near imposable to get the cover open to get the pins out from behind the cover. Today was the third time this has happened & I just had enough. I was never able to find anywhere to get parts.
I will look at the guns suggested.
Thanks again.
Chris

Rick Gifford
10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
I bought the Grex P630 23 Gauge Micropinner 3/8" to 1-3/16" for $149 with free shipping from nailgundepot.com

http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/files/images/product_thumbnail/t_26498.gif

I had an old Craftsman pinner and what a peice of junk it was. Gave it away and felt bad for the guy getting it.

So far the Grex has worked flawlessly. I havent put a great deal of use on it yet but so far so good.

Chris Rosenberger
10-20-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks again for the help.
I ordered a Grex P650. It shoots 3/8" to 2" pins. I ordered it from Woodcraft. They had free shipping & it will be delivered tomorrow.

Heather Thompson
10-20-2008, 9:20 AM
Another vote for the Grex -- you can get starter kit with P635 and 3,000 pins for ~$200 here:

Chris,

I know that you have already ordered the Grex from Woodcraft, but for pins, replacement parts etc I would highly recommend The Fastener Co, great customer service and very fast shipping.

Heather

Chris Rosenberger
10-20-2008, 2:25 PM
Thanks Heather. The Fastener Co will be my choice for pins & parts. Had it not been for the free one day shipping from Woodcraft, I would have ordered the gun from T.F.C. I needed the gun in a hurry to finish a job.

Bill White
10-20-2008, 2:33 PM
Mine was $60.00 with rebuild kit and case including pins. Been very pleased.
Bill

Bill Arnold
10-20-2008, 3:47 PM
We've always refered to a 18g as a pin nailer. We refer to 23g as a needle nailer. Thats why I asked.
I've always seen 18ga = Brad Nailer; 23ga = Pin Nailer.

Tomato, tomahto.....

:)

Chris Padilla
10-20-2008, 4:25 PM

One more vote for Grex and from the above place. I think I have that starter kit and the P635 but I don't rightly remember. Handy little suckers and that 23 gauge pin does disappear! :)

Don Dorn
10-20-2008, 7:02 PM
Chris,

I've had one from Harbor Freight for years. It's proven reliable and you can't beat the price.

I'm not sure who makes it for them, but I have one too and it drives 1" pins into oak without a problem. I bought it for a single project, but see no need to replace it. I also have their 15 ga finish nailer and it's seen a tremendous amount of use and it doesn't seem to miss a beat. Doesn't make sense because other stuff from HF has been total junk.

Bill Arnold
10-21-2008, 10:23 AM
... Doesn't make sense because other stuff from HF has been total junk.
The model number on my HF pin nailer is 45658. Some features that are "automatic" on other brands are manual, making it less costly. For instance, there's no automatic trigger guard (at the nose like many), but I don't have a habit of resting the nose on any body parts! :eek:

Bill White
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
The model number on my HF pin nailer is 45658. Some features that are "automatic" on other brands are manual, making it less costly. For instance, there's no automatic trigger guard (at the nose like many), but I don't have a habit of resting the nose on any body parts! :eek:

'cause you'll only do it once. OUCH!!!
Bill

Chris Rosenberger
10-23-2008, 12:46 AM
The Grex pin nailer arrived yesterday just after lunch. It works great. The magazine is much better than the one one my old gun. There is no way the pins can get past the plungers. Also this gun is safer the the old gun. The Grex gun has a trigger guard.

Shannon Vincent
10-23-2008, 5:11 AM
I own all PC nailers,but I borrowed a Grex from a friend to try it out.The PC's I have all leave marks/divots around the nail entry point,the Grex's are either too small to see or just dont exist.If I didnt already own the PC's,I would get a Grex also.