PDA

View Full Version : I am out of control!

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2008, 3:44 PM
Hi again people,

OK had to try marking my laptop. Turned out pretty good but the letters have raised sections on the edges where the plastic has mushed up slightly.

I have used a very low power setting, high frequency and 42cm/sec.

How do I prevent this or can't I?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Corker
10-19-2008, 5:42 PM
Dave if it's raised up on the edges, I think that the answer is that the power is too high for the material, it's obviously the plastic melting. I would suggest you could put air across it to keep it cooler or even go for the wet paper over the piece you engrave.

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2008, 8:02 PM
or even go for the wet paper over the piece you engrave.

Hi Frank,

Hey that's a great idea. You guys are great.

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2008, 8:08 PM
I think that the answer is that the power is too high for the material

Yup you are correct, I used a sheet of ABS plastic and played with freq. and pulse width this afternoon. Got some pretty good start points and I am documenting as I go.

I got a perfect result on the lid of my new Acer laptop.

Out of control is right! :D:D:D

Roy Nicholson
10-20-2008, 8:07 AM
I lasered a couple of 8 Gig USB sticks with a name and phone number...

Both later played up and were returned under warranty.... they refused to honour the warranty because of the lasering,,, I objecte dbecsue tehir warranty did not say anything about not marking the item for identification.

They did not claim that the lasering damaged the USB sticks... but claimed that they could nto resell the repaired item.

They eventually honoured the warranty but I haven't been game enough to lser the new ones...

I have a few lasered laptops and External hard drives...but have neve had to pursue a warranty claim with any of them.

Just asking the question.

Regards

Roy N.

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2008, 8:13 AM
I lasered a couple of 8 Gig USB sticks with a name and phone number...

Hi Roy,

That might fall under the Magnusson-Moss warranty legislation although they do have a point about not being able to re-sell as "refurbished" items.

http://www.answers.com/topic/magnusson-moss-warranty-act