PDA

View Full Version : acrylic pens...

jeremy haneca
10-19-2008, 2:37 PM
i have a friend that hand lathes acrylic pens. he sells these things to corporations for a heafty price. he is just starting up and i am doing his engraving. i have already done some for him and now am thinking of offering these through my business; he doesnt want to give me much of a break on the price tho.. does any one have any input? suppliers? pricing? technique? interested in a pen? whatever. ill try and post a pic of the finished product later. i have 64 pens and 65 keychains to do for him right now.. i am just engraving, he is infilling and spinning them with a fine grit. it looks great!

Frank Corker
10-19-2008, 5:35 PM
Can't offer any advice but I'd like to see the pictures!

Larry Bratton
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Look on the Woodworker's Classified forum on here. Keith has Corian pre-drilled blank sets for sale. (DuPont Corian is solid acrylic and that's probably what your friend is using). Buy yourself a small lathe, some pen making instructions, kits etc and go to it. I already have the tools, and I am considering buying some of Keith's blanks. Corporate sounds like a good market too, but maybe not the Wall Street guys :)

jeremy haneca
10-19-2008, 10:13 PM
i used to be into woodworking.... im just trying to get out of that, but thanks for the tip. im just not sure i want to invest the time anymore.. im going with this engraving thing full tilt right now, trying to quit my day job.

Thad Nickoley
10-19-2008, 11:35 PM
turning pens is not science but it is a task. I turn pens and enjoy it. You would need supplies. Its somthing that you would need to explore. There is a lot to learn just like all other crafts.