PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions for you pros

Bob Childress
10-19-2008, 2:00 PM
My son runs a resort out west and they want to get about 40 small but custom "Do not disturb" type hangers engraved on wood. I told him I would ask here if that was too small a run to be worthwhile or if the setup costs would be a budget breaker.

He would supply the graphics. Is this even feasible? :confused:

Any input welcome.

[I know to do them in my shop would be impossible for me.]

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2008, 2:04 PM
Not much of a setup cost on lasers. Just need to make sure the supplied artwork is usable, then plop the material into the laser, hit the button and come back later for finished products.

40 is easy and a nice little job for someone with a laser.

Darren Null
10-19-2008, 2:07 PM
Feasable. Not for me coz I'm in Spain, but lasers are ideal for 1-offs up to several thousand piece jobs.

40 different ones or 40x1 design?

Also, most of us laser types are quite wary of customer-supplied graphics. Laser machines are picky eaters and often customer supplied graphics are just wrong for one reason or another. The size, style and format of the graphics would need to be discussed between your son and whoever you end up picking to do the work.

EDIT: The setup mostly involves feeding the right graphic into the laser and arranging the material to be lasered. If the graphic is good, no problem. I have, however, had graphics that took more than a day to make ready.

jeremy haneca
10-19-2008, 2:19 PM
out west where? u.s? canada? im in canada. messege me

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2008, 3:00 PM
He would supply the graphics. Is this even feasible? :confused:

I may be interested. Where out West? PM or email is OK.

Margaret Turco
10-19-2008, 4:12 PM
I would be happy to give this a shot also if he's in my area (Denver)! Would this be on something like 3/16 wood? That should be no problem for most lasers.

Bob Childress
10-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks to everyone. Helpful as usual. I will pass everyone's info on to him and let him deal directly with whomever he chooses. Thanks again. :)

Nancy Laird
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Bob, pass our name on to your son, also. This sounds like an easy job. Cleaning up his graphic is a breeze, or if it's only words, it's even easier.

Darren Null
10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Cleaning up his graphic is a breeze
I wouldn't dare to even *think* that, let alone type it in public.

Whenever you feel confident about a graphic, it turns out to be the only extant photo of Grandad, taken from a 2000-vintage cameraphone as they were going past on a particularly lumpy section of a rollercoaster. In dim lighting. And they want it expanded to fit edge-to-edge on a 6' gravestone. And the service is in 6 hours.

These days, I don't have an opinion until I'm looking at a graphic.

Steve Chalmers
10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Bob,

Not sure if Utah is out west enough for your son, but if it is, please give him my email address. I would certainly be interested in doing the work.

Steve
stevechalmers@comcast.net