PDA

View Full Version : roughed out

pete ryalls
10-19-2008, 1:45 PM
thanks to all that commented on my first post here

now to my second post

turned 2 bowls today out of some wood I was given no idea what it is thought it could be elm but not sure.Maybe someone here could ID it

I left some bark on the outside tought it looked good like that is that a good idea or not Might make finishing difficult I guess

the bowls are about 10" in dia and
I have the in a bucket of DNA

how long should they be soaked in DNA
and what would be the best way to finish them

Curt Fuller
10-19-2008, 2:54 PM
Those look like elm to me too. They should make nice bowls when they're finished. I don't do a lot of bowls but the general consensus seems to be a couple days in the DNA and a couple weeks in the brown bag. As for finish, I'm one that likes the shortest route to the end product. I don't have the patience for the 2-3 week process of the various oils. In fact I'm even too inpatient to wait on the poly's. I usually use a coat of Watco danish oil to pop out the color and figure in the wood. You can let it soak in for a few minutes, then wipe it down good and spray with rattle can lacquer immediately. Within a couple hours you have a couple coats of lacquer that look pretty good, imho.

Bill Bolen
10-19-2008, 5:53 PM
Pete, if the rough bowls smelled a bit like a wet dog and you found a tough fiberous layer between the bark and the sap wood you can bet it is elm. They both look great and have a nice shape. Looking forward to the finished product...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2008, 9:49 PM
Pete - no idea on the wood but both bowls look great! Really like the contrast between heartwood/sapwood! Looking forward to seeing the bowls once finished!

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2008, 9:59 PM
Bowls are looking good. I soak mine in DNA for about 1 to 4 days depends if I remember them in a day or two. Doesn't hurt if they are left longer. I take them out and let them flash dry for about 20 minutes. I wrap them in brown grocery sack like a christmas present the cut a opening in the bowl recess making sure I leave some paper to cover the rim. I lay them upside down on a cooling rack you get from Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks in a room that is fairly cool for about 3 weeks. I use Minwax Antique Oil on most all my turnings. I also like General Finishes Seal-A-Cell topped with Arm-R-Seal.