PDA

View Full Version : Optimal router hp and weight for dovetail jig

Pete Kurki
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I have finally made a decision to invest in two dedicated routers for dovetailing to avoid continuous bit changing. In the past I have been successfully using a 2-1/4 hp DW618 router on plywood, but in the future I will be making lots of oak hardwood drawer boxes as well. In a previous SMC discussion on similar topic PC690 was getting quite a few votes for dovetailing, but since it is only 1-3/4 hp I have been wondering if it is enough power for clean cuts in hardwood. I am also concerned about the weight of the routers, as I feel that lighter weight gives me a better control of the cutting operation.

So far I have looked at the following options:
PC690LR 1-3/4hp 8lbs
PC891 2-1/4hp 9lbs
DW616 1-3/4hp 7.1lbs
DW618 2-1/4hp 7.2lbs
Milw5615 1-3/4hp 8.8lbs
Milw5616 2-1/4hp 8.8lbs

Based on this info I collected from each manufacturer's web sites the winner is DW618, as I would get 2-1/4 hp units with less weight than the other brands' 1-3/4 models. Milwaukee's body grip might be a nice bonus, but I am not sure it's worth the extra 1.6 lbs (22%) weight vs. DW618. The pricing of these products in Amazon seems to be quite comparable between brands within the same hp. But then again when I am buying tools to be used for years to come functionality is the primary factor for my decision, not price.

I would like to hear some constructive creeker input in this topic before I make the final decision. Do you agree about the benefit of light weight or do some of you actually prefer heavier units with dovetail jig? How about the hp - I know some of you use even 3-1/4 hp plunge routers with dovetail jigs. What kind of materials or situations may require more than 2-1/4 hp for cutting dovetails? Or is there anything else I might need to consider at this point?

Pete

Max Acbuilder
10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Pete,
An excellent resource for your questions is Pat Warner's site.(patwarner.com)
He covers in detail his choice of router for the type of job.
I am looking for the perfect router for dovetail jig work that I can install a good plexiglass base on. Small but powerful enough to cut through dovetails in thick stock. From experience I can tell you a plunge router like the Festool 1400 on a Leigh or PC jig is frustrating as you are completely blind. Also setting the depth is a pain with a plunge.

pat warner
10-19-2008, 1:07 PM
Whilst fixture (DT templets e.g.) routing the router is supported by the fixture. Moreover, the router has no where to go but in & out of the templet tines. As such, control & weight are not serious dependent variables here. Or, in other words: Don't sweat weight and control.
Power: Indeed important but more important: How sharp are your cutters and are the way & pin pathways pre-wasted? If they are, 1.5HP is sufficient to do the rest of the cutting.
Hopin' this will cut thru the analysis/paralysis.

Ron Bontz
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, I just finished 12 oak drawers dovetailing both ends on my D4. I used my Bosh 1617 ( you can get a nifty quick change guide set for these.) and my PC 892 fixed base with a Casper model 500 clear base. No problems at all. I prefer that over my plunge base. I should note however, I use carbide spiral cutters as well as 8mm shank cutters to cut down on chatter. I have never used the Dewalt 618. Best of luck.:)

Jeff Duncan
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm one of the fans of the PC690. I have several including one setup just for dovetails. I wouldn't worry about hp as those ratings are far from accurate anyway. If you have 3+ hp already then you could certainly use it to cut dovetails, but you certainly will never need the extra power. The 1-1/2 is more than enough for dovetails. I use hard maple for my dovetails and the router has no trouble at all with them.

good luck,
JeffD

Neal Clayton
10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
i don't have a need to make dovetails but as for the PC 690, out of the ~5 routers i have it's the one that is powerful enough for most simple cuts and comfortable enough for handheld use.

the 2-3.5 hp ones are too big and the 1hp ones are too small.

Bill White
10-20-2008, 1:51 PM
Can't complain at all. Had it a long time with good results.
Bill

glenn bradley
10-20-2008, 2:02 PM
I have a 5615, 5616 and a 5625. All bought at different times and for different reasons, I have other brands as well, it just worked out that way for the Mil's. The 5615 with the body grip is my favorite on the DT jig and other jigs as well. If I am doing something with larger cutters or don't want to pre-waste the DT area, the 5616 with VS is preferred. YMMV but despite the lack of DC, the Mil's are some of the nicest routers I've used.

Steve Clardy
10-20-2008, 2:04 PM
I prefer the D-handle PC690LR for my 4212 jig