PDA

View Full Version : Need a conductive spray paint

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a need to apply a electrically conductive paint to a surface. The surface it's applied to is plastic and does not conduct electricity. I need to maintain using that core, but I need to add something to it that will allow it to conduct electricity in small amounts.

Anyone know of any coatings or sprays that could be used for this?

Thanks-

Doug Shepard
10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks Doug, but that looks like it shields electricity. I need something that conducts it. So if I take something that isn't conductive, I spray it, then the coating is conductive.

Heck, Krylon might be the answer, I don't know. I haven't tried it yet. I don't own a multimeter (or know how to use it!). It's a request I have had by a customer.

I understand this much about electricity- I flip the switch on the wall, the light comes on. I flip it again, the light goes off.

Phil Thien
10-19-2008, 1:52 PM
No, Doug has the right stuff. In order to provide a shield, a surface must be electrically conductive.

You may want to make sure it is compatible with your plastic (in terms of adhesion). Some bond to plastics better than others.

You may need a bonding primer to get many of them to stick to plastic. The ones used in an industrial environment often have additives that etch the plastic they are sprayed on, but I doubt a standard rattle can will have any such additive.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2008, 1:55 PM
Doug had the right stuff. If you read the description, it is conductive. To shield something, the shielding must be conductive and then attached to ground in most cases.

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2008, 2:11 PM
To shield something, the shielding must be conductive and then attached to ground in most cases.

Okay, I take that back Doug :) See, there's a reason I was taking metalworking and not electronics in school :)

Doug Shepard
10-19-2008, 3:14 PM
I only knew they had it because I bought some of the copper foil tape through them. Haven't used the paint though.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2008, 3:18 PM
Doug....I use the copper tape to seal leaks in RF shielded rooms for MR scanners.:rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
10-19-2008, 3:25 PM
Doug....I use the copper tape to seal leaks in RF shielded rooms for MR scanners.:rolleyes:

I used the the 1/4" tape and stuck it on my PVC ducting for grounding.. Just in case the debate on whether it's necessary or not wants to be proven in MY shop.

Scott - I just noticed on the paint link, that they have this We recommend our conductive tape for best results when shielding smooth plastic pickguards. with a link to the tape. That might work better than the paint over your plastic.

Brandon Monnig
12-31-2017, 2:13 AM
I know this is an ancient post. However, could something like this be used for applying powdercoat to non-conductive (plastic, glass, etc) surfaces?