PDA

View Full Version : Major Gloat

Dick Parr
05-20-2004, 5:54 PM
We just got a call from our oldest daughter up in VA. and she went to the doctors today for a checkup to see how the pregnancy was doing and found out she will be having TWIN girls, can you spell surprise. :eek:

We were wondering which one of our three daughters would be having twins since my wife has twin brothers and there are other generations on here side that have had twins.

That will make it 6 grand kids. :D :D

Two more to spoil and then send home, I love it. :D :D :D :p

Jim Becker
05-20-2004, 5:56 PM
Wow! :eek: MAJOR Congratulations, Dick!! :p

Chris Padilla
05-20-2004, 6:49 PM
Dick,

A big congrats! :D

Are the twins on your wife's side identical or fraternal or both? One thing I didn't realize about twins was that you may not know if they are identical or fraternal if they are the same sex.

Dunno if any of you are football fans but I was surprised to find out a ways back that John Elway has a twin sister...apparently she teaches kindergarten here in the Bay Area somewhere. :D

Fun stuff having kids...fun stuff. I'm ready for #2 but my wife is not. :( Frankly, I'm not sure if that is a blessing or a curse!

Dick Parr
05-20-2004, 8:16 PM
Thanks guys.

The wife and I weren't really that surprised because of our daughters size when we were up to see them a couple of months ago. She was pretty big for only being 3 months. But she was sure she would only have one. :p

My wifes brothers are fraternal twins. Unless you knew them, if they were standing side by side you won't think they were brothers.

Chris, it seems the doctor is pretty sure they will be fraternal twins. I wouldn't think you would be able to tell until they came out. :confused:

Don Abele
05-20-2004, 9:10 PM
Dick - congrats. As for twins...

Identical twins come from a single egg that splits completly with them sharing a single, common placenta. Identical twins are ALWAYS of the same sex as they share the same DNA.

Fraternal twins are from 2 separate eggs fertilzed by 2 separate sperm. This is why they look so different. They actually have separate placentas.

With the exception of DNA testing (simple swab of the cheek), it can be difficult to determine whether they are truly identical or not (if both are of the same sex). Occasionally the separate placents fuse and become one and in identical twins they sometimes share the same amniotic sac.

Regardless, they will both be bundles of joy, albeit a handful...

Again, congrats to your family. Give you daughter my best wishes.

John Miliunas
05-20-2004, 9:58 PM
Hey, congrats Dick! :D Hmmm...That's kinda' like "instant family", ain't it? :rolleyes: :cool:

Keith Starosta
05-21-2004, 8:36 AM
Dick,
Congratulations to the Grandparents AND the Parents!!!

As a Father of eight month old boy/girl twins, I can definitely say that I know (intimately) what she will soon be going through. Raising two at once is a whole new freaking ballgame, I can tell you that! :D But, it's twice as fun, too.

Again, congrats!!!

Keith