PDA

View Full Version : Spalted maple case for oil stone

Ken Werner
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I found this old Washita oil stone at an estate sale. Bare. So I made a case for it from a piece of firewood my son left on the ground as an experiment in spalting.

The rectangular hollows were first drilled out, then finished with chisels and a router plane.

Jim Koepke
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice.

jim

Johnny Kleso
10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Looks Like the experiment worked very well :)

Bob Noles
10-19-2008, 7:23 AM
Nice job on both the box and the spalting :)

Tony Zaffuto
10-19-2008, 8:57 AM
Ken,

Nice job on the case! I have a pretty good stock of spalted maple and use it from time to time for accent pieces. My question, though, is about the washita stone. How did you identify the stone? I have a "thing" about picking up virtually any stone I come across at flea markets, etc., because they are so cheap. A few stones, I felt my be a washita, but I've never been positive. Is there some characteristic that jumps out at you?

Thanks,

Tony Z.

Greg Cole
10-19-2008, 9:10 AM
Nice....
Boy as a younger man, I hate to think of the cords of spalted wood that I spilt into exactly that... firewood.:rolleyes:
Greg

Jim Becker
10-19-2008, 9:52 AM
That's a really special piece...a woodworker's project for sure!

Don Pierson
10-19-2008, 10:16 AM
A beautiful piece of wood...the ultimate in design simplicity!
Go to the head of the class Ken...you deserve the Gold Star of the Month!

However, at 73 I have mixed feelings about putting old things in wooden boxes!

Ken Werner
10-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Tony, the way I can tell it's a Washita has to do with the back of the stone. It has an old label I can just make out "Washita." Otherwise I'd be lost.

I too have a thing for buying up old stones when and where I find them. I have gotten some really good old oilstones that way, for very little. they usually need a little flattening and some cleaning.

Steve Clardy
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Looks good Ken.

Tony Zaffuto
10-19-2008, 3:10 PM
Good method Ken!

I have a stone that has that exact appearance. Have had it for several years and haven't gotten around to cleaning it up to try it yet. I have another that I picked up about a year ago. The coloration is medium grey, and from the descriptions of the way washitas cut, I suspect that is the vintage of this stone. It had to be a very special stone because of the ornate carved box it came in--anyone who would go to that trouble had a prized item to put in it. I wouldn't part with this stone for even a new Norton Tri-hone, complete with all modern stones--that's how good it is.

Thanks!

Tony Z.