PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP with laser not starting

Phil Brevick
10-18-2008, 9:49 PM
:confused:
Hi everyone,

I'm a new laser user. Got a VersaLaser 3.60 a few weeks ago.

I was working on it last night and the laser shut down. Cannot get it to start, turn on, or do anything. This had happened once before and I was able to take the battery out, put it back in and it started fine. I don't know if this is the "standby" mode??? or what it could be. So far no user manual for this model yet. Manual supposed to be out first part of November.

I tried a search here to see how to get out of stand by and could not see how to override it. Any help would be appreciated. Didn't know if this is a more major problem or something simple... hard to know without a manual yet. Makes weekends tough without any technical service.

Also thanks for all of the great advice & help already... I've flipped through here the last several month. You have all helped me in making my purchase decisions and to help me figure out my first several weeks of using the laser. Hopefully I will eventually learn enough to help someone else.

Thanks for the great site!

Sincerely,
Phil

Scott Challoner
10-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I have my laser in my basement and once in awhile it trips the GFCI, but that's right away at start-up. If you haven't already; check breakers, fuses, cords for loose connections etc.

Phil Brevick
10-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I still have power in the outlet. Checked and unplugged re-plugged all the cords (including USB). Restarted everything (several times now). I still decided to go to the basement and check the breaker... it was fine.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Phil

bob pfohler
10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Scott,
I have a new PRS 3.60 and had a similar problem. I kept getting an ocassional overheat alarm then it would stop. If I shut the machine off overnight and came back the next morning everthing would work for a short while.
My machine would go through all the moves and and in the control screen it even showed the engraving progression but I got no laser.
Turns out it was the thermal overload board.

Phil Brevick
10-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Bob,

Not sure if that would be it. I'm not getting anything to even start or power up. The entire machine will not turn on. On the ULS screen it indicates that it is "disconected". What did you have to do to fix yours?

Phil

David Dustin
10-19-2008, 7:42 AM
Phil,
When you try to connect to the laser via USB does it attempt to connect then drop out right away?

What were you doing when it shut down?
If by chance it was moving the Z axis, you may have a bad CPU.

We have experience with the VLS3.60 and have seen that issue.

ULS is aware of the problem and should send you the parts to fix it ASAP providing you contact the right people.
Your first call should be your rep, and hopefully they have given you a number to reach them at all time. If they are not responsive, call the ULS tech support.

I am in no way affiliated with ULS other than being a user. ULS will fix the situation.

Best regards,
David

Phil Brevick
10-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi David,

Seems like I was moving the Z-axis as I was putting the cutting table in. I'll call tech on Monday. Hopefully can get it fixed quickly.

Thanks for the info,
Phil

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2008, 10:31 AM
If you were moving the z-axis when it stopped, then David's got it right.

David Dustin
10-19-2008, 9:28 PM
No doubt in my mind now that the CPU fried.

They WILL help you out though.

David

David Dustin
10-20-2008, 6:25 PM
Any news on this Phil??

Phil Brevick
10-20-2008, 7:41 PM
Hi David,
Thanks for checking. They have hopefully got the CPU sent out today... So hopefully I will know more tomorrow if that has worked. Thanks for the advice & help!

I checked the USB cable just in case and that did nothing.

Thanks again, Hopefully tomorrow I can report it working!
Phil

David Dustin
10-20-2008, 8:15 PM
Phil,
You are welcome, and I am very glad to have been able to help another SawmillCreek user. These guys and gals have helped me tons over the last couple of months.

Just out of curiousity, where are you located?

When you contacted Tech support did they ask you to uninstall the driver then re-install it? Just curious...

David

Phil Brevick
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi David,

I'm just west of Columbus, Ohio. When I first called they were going to have me re-install the drivers. After getting more info from me they said they would just send out the new CPU. The Creek is a great place for info & help. Nice to have it available for all of us.

Phil

David Dustin
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
It may come with 3 Ferrite choke coils that are added to 3 of the wire assemblies.

Take care to place them on the correct cables.

David

David Dustin
10-22-2008, 9:29 AM
Phil,
Did they get your parts to you and get you up and running?

Let us know...

David

Phil Brevick
10-22-2008, 2:16 PM
David,

I got the CPU and a motor replacement. Switched out the CPU changed out the motor... there was a problem with the new motor. Probably wired wrong from the factory. They are sending a new motor that I should have tomorrow. I'll put that in and hopefully everything will be fine.

Hope to not have another weekend without the laser...

Phil

David Dustin
10-22-2008, 2:24 PM
Yeah the motor is a simple connection so there is not much that can be screwed up there.

The good news is the CPU/Motor combination is the right fix for the problem.

Let us know how it goes. We are all pulling for you.

David

Mike Mackenzie
10-22-2008, 4:38 PM
Phil,

If the wires are just in the wrong positions you can change them around.

If you have a safety pin use the sharp point of the pin and press down on the tab that holds the wire into the connector. This will release the wire from the connector. This is the tiny silver square that you will see on the black connector. When you press down on that lightly pull on the wire and it should release from the connector.

Once you pull it out you can then take another color out and match the connector on the other motor. all you have to do is push them back into the connector and you are done.

I am assuming that this is just the four wire connector.

David Dustin
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Phil,
Is your machine running now?

David

Phil Brevick
10-24-2008, 1:26 PM
Hi David,

I think I'm back to running. It was working as of about 1:30am at that point I decided to get some sleep. I'll find out more this weekend as I have a lot of lasering to catch up on. Still need to calibrate for table & rotary, but seems to be working well.

Thanks for all the help & advice! Nice to have the Creek to go to for extra support!!!

Phil