PDA

View Full Version : Woodworks No longer showing?

Ben Davis
10-18-2008, 8:38 PM
I just checked my DVR listings and I do not see any further episodes of Woodworks showing. Has anyone heard anything about this? I ordered the extra cable package 2 months ago just to get DIY network, JUST to get woodworks and now it's gone! AKK!

Ted Shrader
10-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Ben -

They made 96 episodes of Woodworks with the last taping in 2005. DIY has been running them as recently as last week. Don't know of DIY's coming schedule, but two episodes were on just last week.

Was fortunate enough to attend a woodworking seminar with David Marks on 10/6/08 here in Norfolk, VA. Very informative and enlightening. David is a real down to earth guy, easy to talk with and learn from.

Regards,
Ted

Ben Davis
10-18-2008, 11:03 PM
yeah, i knew that production was over. I used to have a pile of them on my old DVR, but when I moved, I had to turn that one in. I don't know if it's possible to copy from a DVR to DVD or not. Either way, I'm quite down about the whole thing.

Casey Gooding
10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
I was wondering the same thing. It's not on the schedule for DIY Network on their website anymore. It's a shame.

Denny Rice
10-19-2008, 12:03 AM
That's strange!!!!!! I have Dish Network with a DVR and just noticed that Wood Works did not tape on Friday or Saturay on DIY. It usually records 4 shows every week-end. I liked the show too, David Marks really showed with a little imagination how far you could push design and I liked his attutude about working with wood in its natural state instead of hogging out a knot or cutting a section away just because "thats what everybody else says to do".. That kinda ticks me off too.:mad: I tried searching 2 weeks on DIY and Wood Works is not there.

Denny Rice
10-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I checked the DIY network webpage. Wood Works is still listed but after last weekend it seems there are no other "upcoming episodes" listed on their webpage. It seems they are replacing the 10 am and 10:30 am time slot with the show "cool tools". I hate that show! It sucks.

Ben Davis
10-19-2008, 7:20 AM
Finding a way to communicate with Scripps Networks is nearly impossible. After nearly 10 minutes of digging around websites (an eternity given that most people view a web page for only a few seconds), I found a feedback form. I've written them encouraging them to both re-produce new wood works episodes and make the old ones available, both on air and on dvd. Maybe if we get a small grassroots thing going they will listen.

I did point them to SMC to search for David Marks to see just how respected he is in this community. Let's get something going!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/newsletter/text/0,2019,DIY_14146_14234,00.html

-Ben

Pat Germain
10-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I also noticed Wood Works is now missing in action. I also pay $120 a year for a satellite upgrade package to get DIY specifically so I can see Wood Works. I know a lot of people have already seen all the Wood Works episodes, but I have not.

I sent an online comment on the DIY web page asking about Wood Works. I included that if the show is not coming back, I'll be dropping my satellite upgrage package, and thus dropping DIY.

The only other show I watch on DIY is New Yankee Workshop. Unlike Wood Works, NYW is still running on PBS. And all NYW are available on video.

It looks like they dropped Wood Works in favor of more episodes of "Hammered" and "Blog Cabin". Scripps is apparently run by a bunch of boneheads.

Matt Ocel
10-19-2008, 2:02 PM
I had the episodes on High Def DVR.
Lightning storm knocked out my DVR. When they came to fix it, or should I say repalce it.
When the service man walked out with the old DVR, he walked out with my Woodworks episodes.:(

Pat Germain
10-21-2008, 7:16 PM
Today I received a reply from Scripps about Wood Works:

"Hello and thank you for your email.

The program Wood Works is currently on hiatus and not scheduled to air at this time. You may contact us toward the beginning of December and we would be happy to check on the status of this show."

So, does this mean they'll review their scheduling in December?

Ben Davis
10-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Pat,

I got the same email this afternoon as well. I was going to post it, but it looks like you beat me to it.

I still encourage everyone to fire off a quick email using the form linked above. At the very least it would be fantastic if they would make the shows available on DVD or allow David to distribute them through his website.

As an aside, the more I use the DIY website, the less I like it. I find it cumbersome to navigate and I hate the video starting without me wanting it to. FWIW, I also find the FWW website a very difficult site to navigate. Hard to find what you're looking for.

Al Willits
10-21-2008, 9:09 PM
Be nice if they came out with the episodes on DVD, I started to record them and found out my recorder (or its operator) screwed up...O well

Al

Denny Rice
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
shot my letter off to the DIY network asking them to put David Marks back on the air.

John Keeton
10-22-2008, 6:09 AM
Thanks for the link Ben - sent mine this am. However, I am betting it is a money issue for them. Shows like Blog Cabin are sponsored shows so the money flow goes the other direction, and they do draw an audience - just not this one.

Matt Meiser
10-22-2008, 7:48 AM
Their long time viewers have probably seen every episode--many more than once. For months, maybe over a year I've been recording them and I just end up deleting them off my DVR because I'd seen them before. Unfortunately that means an already small demographic is reduced even further. Add to that the fact that a fair number of people say they didn't watch the show due to they style of the pieces or their perception of David Mark's personality (which from what I've read is nothing like what came out on the show.) Then the fact that DIY is part of an extra-cost package on both satellite services and who knows what on cable and you cut the potential audience even further. Since DIY is supposed to be a money-making enterprise a niche market doesn't help them meet their goals. My guess is that there just weren't enough people watching to justify running it.

Now if they would start producing new shows then that would be great and might bring back a lot of viewers. But based on some interviews I've read or seen with David Marks, my guess is that he'd probably not be the host as it was a LOT of work for him and things have really taken off since.

BTW, there is a new woodworking show that is pretty decent. But its not on your TV (well, it could be if you connect your computer or iPod to your TV.) Check out The Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/). Its not as polished as Woodworks or New Yankee Workshop and it doesn't follow the traditional project-per-episode approach all the other woodworking shows have done. I've just started watching it and downloaded all the episodes while I was out of town and had access to an unlimited internet connection. I like what I've seen so far. On the project I've been following, a lot more time has been spent than any TV show would have ever spent going over details of design. And he didn't pre-build a prototype to work out any bugs. He deals with them as they come up the way we all would.

Ben Davis
10-22-2008, 8:37 AM
Their long time viewers have probably seen every episode--many more than once. For months, maybe over a year I've been recording them and I just end up deleting them off my DVR because I'd seen them before. Unfortunately that means an already small demographic is reduced even further. Add to that the fact that a fair number of people say they didn't watch the show due to they style of the pieces or their perception of David Mark's personality (which from what I've read is nothing like what came out on the show.) Then the fact that DIY is part of an extra-cost package on both satellite services and who knows what on cable and you cut the potential audience even further. Since DIY is supposed to be a money-making enterprise a niche market doesn't help them meet their goals. My guess is that there just weren't enough people watching to justify running it.

Now if they would start producing new shows then that would be great and might bring back a lot of viewers. But based on some interviews I've read or seen with David Marks, my guess is that he'd probably not be the host as it was a LOT of work for him and things have really taken off since.

BTW, there is a new woodworking show that is pretty decent. But its not on your TV (well, it could be if you connect your computer or iPod to your TV.) Check out The Wood Whisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/). Its not as polished as Woodworks or New Yankee Workshop and it doesn't follow the traditional project-per-episode approach all the other woodworking shows have done. I've just started watching it and downloaded all the episodes while I was out of town and had access to an unlimited internet connection. I like what I've seen so far. On the project I've been following, a lot more time has been spent than any TV show would have ever spent going over details of design. And he didn't pre-build a prototype to work out any bugs. He deals with them as they come up the way we all would.
Matt,

I understand where you're coming from regarding the cost to produce the shows. That's why it would be nice to have them available on DVD.

I don't want to get too far off topic from the original thread, but my liking of The Wood Whisperer has fallen off. It was great in the early going. I just don't like the show any more. It seems to be a "let me show you have to tune a table saw on my new one-off custom-made high speed low drag Powermatic table saw." There is occasionally good information on the show though. I don't blame him. I just don't care for the style; that's all.

Whatever. Wood Works should be aired at like 0300 or on DVD at the very least!

Travis Rassat
10-22-2008, 9:15 AM
If it's any consolation, DIY has put some Wood Works episodes up online:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/woodworking

Daniel Heine
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I am am very frustrated because not only is Wood Works gone, but so are both woodturning shows, and the Wood Sculpture show. Not much left to watch on DIY!!!

dan

alex grams
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
email sent, thanks for the link.

Eric Larsen
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Only one thing to do:

Create our own cable network! Sawmill Creek TV! SCTV! (Harold Ramis would probably sue.)

I imagine buying the rights to WW, NYW, and every other wood show would be quite expensive. I wonder if enough advertisers would be interested to make a WoodTV network viable? I know little about broadcasting.

I am am very frustrated because not only is Wood Works gone, but so are both woodturning shows, and the Wood Sculpture show. Not much left to watch on DIY!!!

dan

Ben Davis
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Travis,

Well... kind of. Some of the shows are available, but not all of them. Even so, finding a particular show is terribly cumbersome due to DIYnetwork's terrible user interface. Try and find, for example, the WW episode where he built a Chippendale side table. You should be able to easily view a list and pick it out (see NYW website for a great example).

Chris Padilla
10-22-2008, 5:31 PM
I have *most* of Woodworks recorded to DVD but I found that over the years, there are a handful of episodes that for whatever reason DIY just did not rebroadcast. So, I don't have them all.

Alex Shanku
10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Chris, did you capture the video to your computer throught the video-out?

I know the USB ports do not support DVR --> computer transfer?

I have 55 episodes on my DVR and am considering transfer this fall.

Chris Padilla
10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Alex,

I went the DVD recorder route and it works just fine. However, I hear that home DVD recorders may not be as good as commercial stuff and that the recordings may not last all that long. I guess we'll see.

Ben Davis
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Anyone out there have all of the episodes?

AL Ursich
10-27-2008, 1:46 PM
I am in a DIY Free zone and can only get Norm on weekends only Cable. Did watch DIY Wood Works when at Sony in Philly so I really love the show. Brother is in a Norm Free Zone in West Palm Beach.... No Norm for him.... Bummer... :(

I looked at the DIY Wood Works show list and wow what a pile of great shows.... I have some of the Router Workshop box sets from the Great North. They make some great stuff.

Are the Wood Works shows available for purchase anywhere? Would make a great Christmas Gift for ME......:)

AL

Jerome Hanby
10-27-2008, 2:17 PM
They have such massive repeats on the DIY channel, why not start with the first episode of NYWS, Woodworks, whatever and show them in order until you get to the last one, then start over.

At the least, if they are going to can a show, why not pull a marathon like the Cartoon Network does when it kills off a shows slot.

Ben Davis
10-27-2008, 6:59 PM
I don't understand why the don't show it at like 0400 when we can all DVR it.

mike holden
10-28-2008, 7:48 AM
Guys -
Complaining will do no good.
They need a sponsor ($$$dollars$$$) to run a show.
We need to lobby some woodworking related companies to sponsor Woodworks.
THAT will get it back on view faster than anything else.
Mike