PDA

View Full Version : Two more spalted maple.

Toney Robertson
10-18-2008, 8:10 PM
Tell me if you ladies and gentlemen get tried of seeing spalted maple.

12" x 2 1/4" - Antique oil and buffed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/153-53.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/153-53A.jpg

10 34/" x 2 1/4" Antique oil and buffed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/152-52.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/152-52A.jpg

Tell me what you think - good or bad.

Toney

Jim Becker
10-18-2008, 8:25 PM
Wow...awesome spalted maple, Toney!

I like them both. I might prefer the first not having such a heavy bottom given it's very light rim, etc., but it's a but subjective. The second, heavier piece is also quite nice; I'm not sure if the interior follows the contour of the exterior, however. If it doesn't, that might be something I'd do differently on that particular piece.

Robert McGowen
10-18-2008, 8:46 PM
Maybe the pictures look different in Texas ;), but I really like the shape and look of the top bowl. The bowl in the bottom pictures just does not seem right. It may be that the curve goes out, then in, then out again, if you see what I mean. I can't really put my finger on it, so it might just be me. All of the wood is awesome though! We don't have anything like that here, so it is cool to see what is out there.

Barry Stratton
10-18-2008, 9:16 PM
Beauties Tony!!!!

Let me know if you need my addy to send me #1:D,
or #2:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2008, 9:49 PM
Nope sure don't get tired of them Toney. That is some awesome spalt and the bowls are real beauties.

Jon Lanier
10-18-2008, 9:59 PM
Oh, I hope not! Because I've got a bunch yet to do.

Those look great and I like the different characteristics in your maple. Mine seems to be the same old thing. :o

Greg Just
10-18-2008, 10:25 PM
unbelieveable wood - I too like the top bowl better, but both are very nice

Toney Robertson
10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Jim and Robert,

I will try and explain my thinking on #2.

I wanted a wider rim than most my my bowls. Instead of extending the outside of the rim, I extended the rim into the bowl. If I cut straight in from the outside of the bowl the rim would have been very thick. Sooooo, I under cut the interior rim a little until I reached the finial bowl thickness. From that point, the interior matches pretty closely the outside profile.

If you know what I mean. :D

It constantly amazes me how you get something into your head and then when you see it in reality you realize that it just doesn't work as well as in you mind.

By the way, I donated the second to a silent charity auction for Riley children's hospital. It brought at least $95.00 (the last bid seen), which I did not think was too bad for this economy and this area.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Toney

Nancy Laird
10-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Toney, I LOVE both of these, but #1 is also my favorite. I'll PM you my address so you can send it to me (maybe a trade????)

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Very nice work on both bowls Toney! As everyone else has already commented - absolutely beautiful wood!

Interesting form on the first bowl! Curious - did you recess or hollow the foot area? Just wondering as it looks thick - which would add weight to the piece - and hollowing would remove that weight making it a small surprise when picking it up! If you know what I mean.....

Second bowl - I like the idea of an undercut rim (it's unexpected) and have done a few of those myself. Someone got a real nice bowl at the auction! Congrats on donating for such a worthy cause! Great example!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Beautiful bowls both Toney! The wood is absolutely spectacular!

Toney Robertson
10-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Very nice work on both bowls Toney! As everyone else has already commented - absolutely beautiful wood!

Interesting form on the first bowl! Curious - did you recess or hollow the foot area? Just wondering as it looks thick - which would add weight to the piece - and hollowing would remove that weight making it a small surprise when picking it up! If you know what I mean.....

Second bowl - I like the idea of an undercut rim (it's unexpected) and have done a few of those myself. Someone got a real nice bowl at the auction! Congrats on donating for such a worthy cause! Great example!

Steve,

I did a small recess on the foot but I wanted to keep most of the weight there so if someone loaded it unevenly it would not be as prone to tipping.

Thanks,

Toney

Lucas Bittick
10-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Tell me if you ladies and gentlemen get tried of seeing spalted maple.

Please-- keep them coming. Beautiful work corresponding to beautiful wood.