PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor picture frame

Jeff Chumbley
10-18-2008, 2:36 PM
I am looking for a frame that can be placed outdoors and preserve a color photo and have an area to place a engraved plate. Is there such an animal or will the picture just washout in the sun.

Jeff

Darren Null
10-18-2008, 2:43 PM
You need UV-resistant glass. Weatherproof frame. Archive-quality or (better) UV curable ink for your print.

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2008, 4:54 PM
You need UV-resistant glass. Weatherproof frame. Archive-quality or (better) UV curable ink for your print.

Darren,

Pretty much any glass or clear or tinted plastic will filter out pretty much all UV wavelengths as they will for infrared in the CO2 laser wavelength ranges.

Darren Null
10-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Sorry. Beg to differ, but either your information isn't correct or people selling UV-resistant glass are all scammers.
http://www.glazeguard.com/fadeguard.htm
(First one up on Google, for example).

While I haven't personally tested a fade-resistant product and am therefore unable to tell how much snake-oil they're selling, I can vouch for the fact that it's perfectly possible to get sunburned behind glass, so something's getting through.

Clara Koss
10-19-2008, 1:59 AM
the only pics that i have seen survive the outdoors are at gravesites... you may want to speak with the manager at one or more of these cementaries and see if they can reffer you to a place that can give you advise...

Mike Null
10-19-2008, 7:32 AM
I agree with Darren. In fact, I believe it's safe to say most glass is not UV safe.

Keith Outten
10-19-2008, 8:52 AM
It is my understanding that museum glass is the most UV protective...but it is unbelievably expensive.

Jeff, I would suggest that you consider dye-sublimated Corian for your exterior picture. Nobody knows at this point how long it will last but it is the best choice I know of, the picture life can be extended by periodically coating it with a UV protective material like Frog Juice.

Bill Cunningham
10-19-2008, 8:49 PM
Now 'thats' something I've never heard of before? Visions of a frog in a blender come to mind! Just how many frogs would you have 'juice' per picture :D

Darren Null
10-19-2008, 11:57 PM
There's not enough water for frogs round here. Would geckos do?