PDA

View Full Version : Two Pennsylvania Secretaries

Robert LaPlaca
10-18-2008, 2:04 PM
I would like to share some photos of the two Lonnie Bird Pennsylvania Secretaries from FWW issues 154-156 that I built from the plans in the magazine. The desk pictured on the left is a Wedding present for a niece, the desk pictured on right is for my wife.

The first desk (for niece) has been done for time, as I was waiting to finish the second desk so I could take pictures of the two side by side.

The primary wood is Black Walnut with Poplar as the secondary. The brasses are from Ball and Ball, the finish is Transfast Antique Red Walnut dye with Garnet Shellac. The raised panels and drawer front are all veneered with crotch Walnut shop sawn veneer, dovetails are done by hand.

Thanks for looking..

Dave Verstraete
10-18-2008, 4:38 PM
WOW!! Those are two beautiful desks. I'm sure that they will be appreciated.

Jim Becker
10-18-2008, 4:55 PM
Wonderful work, Robert!

Mike Henderson
10-18-2008, 5:27 PM
Wow! That's terrific. That's also a lot of work (precision work) that went into those two pieces. Congratulations.

Mike

Michael Sobik
10-18-2008, 5:40 PM
Holy smokes, those are nuts! Thanks for sharing.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2008, 5:48 PM
Robert.....absolutely beautiful! Those two women will rave about your work and so will future generations. Very well done!

gary Zimmel
10-18-2008, 6:04 PM
Another WOW....

Not one but two! Makes it even sweeter.

Thanks for the post.

Ted Calver
10-18-2008, 6:19 PM
Stunning!!!

Bruce Volden
10-18-2008, 6:23 PM
I look at woodwork of this caliber and I know..."I have all the tools!" I know I have the finishing skills. I have the desire for such beautiful creations! I finally figured out I don't have the brains.....oh well, off to see the wizard.

THAT IS GREAT WORK!!

Bruce

Doug Shepard
10-18-2008, 7:01 PM
Wow. Amazingly good work. I'd be happy to get through ONE without any screwups, much less TWO.

Ken Garlock
10-18-2008, 7:09 PM
Robert, those desks are up there with the best I have seen here on the Creek, maybe even the best.:) Congratulations on an outstanding job.

John Keeton
10-18-2008, 8:18 PM
Robert, if you are not doing this for a living, you have missed your calling!! That is phenomenal work - absolutely gorgeous.

Russ Massery
10-18-2008, 8:40 PM
They are truly awesome, breathtaking are just of the few words that come to mind. As others have stated above. Beautiful work.

glenn bradley
10-18-2008, 8:48 PM
Very beautiful work.

Don Bullock
10-18-2008, 11:53 PM
One of these would be fantastic, but two --- that's unbelievable! Wow, those are beautiful.

tom tangie
10-19-2008, 1:29 AM
works of art. they will be heirlooms if the human race can survive the next 100 years.

Clara Koss
10-19-2008, 1:46 AM
how funny,,, i thought you were going to tell a joke about two ladies from pennsylvania.... beautifull work.... really sweet desks!!!!:rolleyes:

Robert LaPlaca
10-19-2008, 8:22 AM
Robert, those desks are up there with the best I have seen here on the Creek, maybe even the best.:) Congratulations on an outstanding job.

Thanks for the kind words Ken..

Robert LaPlaca
10-19-2008, 8:25 AM
Robert, if you are not doing this for a living, you have missed your calling!! That is phenomenal work - absolutely gorgeous.

John, oh my heavens no! Not quiting my day job as a software engineer anytime soon.. I am way too slow to make a living at woodworking.

Larry Fox
10-19-2008, 9:16 AM
Robert, those are simply amazing. Outstanding work in every category. If I may be so bold as to ask, how long would you estimate that they took you?

John Thompson
10-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Excellent work and quite a bit to reproduce two of them. How much time did it take you to do the two if you kept track? If not.. no big deal as just curious as I know this kind of work doesn't happen over-nite. :)

Well done sir...

Sarge..

Mark Roderick
10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Incredible, Robert. I wish I had a third of your skill.

Tim Dorcas
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Amazing work! How long did it take you? What type of challenges did you face when making it? How long have you been woodworking?

Tim

Dave Ray
10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Robert, your work belongs in the SMC Hall Of Fame. A group which only exists in my mind and my computer archives with pictures and stories There are several members of this elite group on our site. You all inspire the rest of us. Thank you.

Norman Pyles
10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert LaPlaca
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Amazing work! How long did it take you? What type of challenges did you face when making it? How long have you been woodworking?

Tim

Tim, most challenging aspect of the project was definately the attempting to balance honey do's, family life, work and a interstate move during construction. I find it increasingly tough for me to find much time for working in the shop as I get older..

The plans in FWW by Lonnie Bird are pretty good in general, there were details that are hard to see or not well documented that can get you (old story of the devil is in the details). For instance the top drawer in the lower case does not have a rabbit on top or bottom of the drawer, I can safely tell you if you build it that way (not that I know) the upper drawer interferes with the lid, thankfully its an easy save. Speaking of the lid, it is an absolute pain in arse to fit to the case.

I figure there is over 400 hours in each desk.. I figure to make any money when building such a project the number has to be reduced to 160 to 200 hours..

Robert LaPlaca
10-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Robert, those are simply amazing. Outstanding work in every category. If I may be so bold as to ask, how long would you estimate that they took you?

Larry and John,

I figure there is over 400 hours in each desk.. I figure to make any money when building such a project the number has to be reduced to 160 to 200 hours (basically one months work for a craftsman). So I would have to get more proficient or work really cheap..

Rick de Roque
10-19-2008, 1:46 PM
Wonderful job. The figure is well balanced in the door panels.

Rick

Jacob Mac
10-19-2008, 8:06 PM
Robert,

That is some great work. You should really be proud of yourself. If you don't mind, what did you use to finish it?

Jeffrey Makiel
10-19-2008, 8:55 PM
You're one heck of an uncle...and a pretty decent husband too.:) Those pieces are not only beautiful, but they are classy too. I can see a lot of work and skill that went into them.

Well done.

Thanks for posting!

-Jeff :)

Tim Dorcas
10-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Tim, most challenging aspect of the project was definately the attempting to balance honey do's, family life, work and a interstate move during construction. I find it increasingly tough for me to find much time for working in the shop as I get older..

The plans in FWW by Lonnie Bird are pretty good in general, there were details that are hard to see or not well documented that can get you (old story of the devil is in the details). For instance the top drawer in the lower case does not have a rabbit on top or bottom of the drawer, I can safely tell you if you build it that way (not that I know) the upper drawer interferes with the lid, thankfully its an easy save. Speaking of the lid, it is an absolute pain in arse to fit to the case.

I figure there is over 400 hours in each desk.. I figure to make any money when building such a project the number has to be reduced to 160 to 200 hours..

Thanks for filling in the gaps. I remember the article you are talking about. I don't know if I have the patience for a 400 hour project...but you never know.

Last question....Had you made anything like this before? I consider myself an intermediate woodworker and I'm interested to know if this is something that stretched your skillset.

Robert LaPlaca
10-20-2008, 6:27 AM
Thanks for filling in the gaps. I remember the article you are talking about. I don't know if I have the patience for a 400 hour project...but you never know.

Last question....Had you made anything like this before? I consider myself an intermediate woodworker and I'm interested to know if this is something that stretched your skillset.

Tim,

I have been working with wood is some way or another for 20 years, I would say that I was an intermediate woodworker also.. The project was a stretch, many firsts were attempted, such as handcut dovetails, and vacuum veneering.. But half the fun is stretching and learning..

Mark Singer
10-20-2008, 9:35 AM
Truly excellent! Great craftsmanship and thoughtful construction!

C Scott McDonald
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The finish on them is fantastic. The dye and shellac sure makes a rich finish on already rich wood.

Thanks for sharing.

Joel Ficke
10-20-2008, 2:51 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing them with us.

What was the most difficult part of fitting the lids, or said differently, what did you learn to watch out in that process?

Lucas Bittick
10-20-2008, 3:58 PM
Robert-- those are stunningly nice. Definitely heirloom pieces. Any technique you wish to share is greatly appreciated!

Robert LaPlaca
10-20-2008, 7:33 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing them with us.

What was the most difficult part of fitting the lids, or said differently, what did you learn to watch out in that process?

Joel,

The lid is 38" x 15 " x 7/8 piece of Walnut with breadboard ends, rabbited on three sides. The real pain is fitting the hinges perfectly so the top does not bind on the sides, top of the lower case or get hinge bound. The hinges are very much in clear site and any oops will be clearly visible for all to see.

I felt the best way to get the job done was to make a prototype top out of scraps and use it as the test bed for the fit.. I later found a book written by Glenn Huey and he recommended the same procedure.

Robert LaPlaca
10-20-2008, 7:46 PM
Robert-- those are stunningly nice. Definitely heirloom pieces. Any technique you wish to share is greatly appreciated!

Lucas,

I found coloring crotch Walnut to be very challenging, you can think of crotch as long and end grains combined. The first dye sample produced way too dark a dye color (even with a diluted 1 part dye to 3 parts water) as used on the rest of the case. Used 1 lb cut Zinzer Sealcoat shellac as a stain conditioner on all the crotch, I still think it stained darker than I really wanted. All I wanted to was to warm up the color of Walnut so I lost the 'blue' tint.

I later found that Lonnie Bird actually bleaches the Walnut using a two part bleach, then dyes the Walnut. I could not bring myself to put bleach on Walnut.

Zahid Naqvi
10-20-2008, 9:06 PM
That's great, excellent workmanship and attention to detail. I bet making two saved a lot of time.

Calvin Hobbs
10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Robert,

Truly beautiful work. The details in a large piece (or 2!!!) really make it but they add so much time. The finish is outstanding as well. I love period work so thanks very much for posting.

So what do you have lined up for your next masterpiece? Cal

Robert LaPlaca
10-21-2008, 6:47 AM
I bet making two saved a lot of time.

Zahid,

Thanks for the kind works.

Yes that is the theory, but I only wish it worked in practice. Seemed like making two pieces seemed to take time squared instead of time * 2, maybe it only felt that way.

Robert LaPlaca
10-21-2008, 6:51 AM
Robert,

Truly beautiful work. The details in a large piece (or 2!!!) really make it but they add so much time. The finish is outstanding as well. I love period work so thanks very much for posting.

So what do you have lined up for your next masterpiece? Cal

Thanks Calvin, after finishing some more honey do's, I was considering the Curly Cherry Highboy by Randall O'Donnell in FWW 1996

Don Eddard
10-21-2008, 7:27 AM
Gorgeous work on both of them, but I like the one on the left best. :p

The recipients are two very fortunate ladies indeed.

Lucas Bittick
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I later found that Lonnie Bird actually bleaches the Walnut using a two part bleach, then dyes the Walnut. I could not bring myself to put bleach on Walnut.

Robert, what made you decide to go with a dye instead of a stain? Is it the nature of the walnut? I imagine that dye absorption is much harder to control in open-grained areas (but, I am only familiar with staining technique).

In any case, I appreciate that the veneered areas are a bit darker-- you could say "I meant to do that" and no one would doubt it. The veneer panels are in harmony with the rest of the piece, and they have the same effect as many classic pieces of furniture I have seen. Maybe the old masters had the same absorption problems. ;)

Robert LaPlaca
10-22-2008, 7:26 PM
Robert, what made you decide to go with a dye instead of a stain? Is it the nature of the walnut? I imagine that dye absorption is much harder to control in open-grained areas (but, I am only familiar with staining technique).

In any case, I appreciate that the veneered areas are a bit darker-- you could say "I meant to do that" and no one would doubt it. The veneer panels are in harmony with the rest of the piece, and they have the same effect as many classic pieces of furniture I have seen. Maybe the old masters had the same absorption problems. ;)

Lucas,

I am not a finishing expert, so you can take all the below with a grain of salt..

I went with dye for a couple of reasons, first dye is very clear, I could dilute the dye quite easily with distilled water (1 part dye to 3 parts water) since I only wanted to kill the coolness of the Walnut and the very wide selection of dye colors (almost too many).

I think is this case the veneer staining darker is more of a function of the swirling "end grain like" crotch figure, the veneer is 1/16" thick shopsawn, nothing like the "normal" 1/40" standard veneer.

Roy Wall
10-22-2008, 9:11 PM
Robert -

Those are fantastic......beautiful work! I'm looking forward to seeing the Curly Cherry HighBoy.

Lon LeBlanc
10-23-2008, 1:34 PM
Robert,

Those are two beautiful pieces of furniture. :D

Lon

Don C Peterson
10-23-2008, 1:59 PM
You have one lucky niece! That's one of the nicest wedding presents I've ever seen.

Walt Caza
10-24-2008, 4:40 AM
Hi Robert,
I am getting to this party a little late,
but wow! I still wanna celebrate your accomplishments!

Those are a beautiful pair of heirlooms.
Just stunning work, and your handcut dovetails seem appropriate too.
Gorgeous... I am not sure if I should feel inspired,
or give up on furniture and just make little crooked birdhouses!

(not to slight anyone who makes huge, fancy birdhouses, of course)
thanks for sharing with us,
be well,
Walt

Martin Shupe
10-24-2008, 4:48 PM
Robert,

Just want to add my congratulations to the thread.

Wonderful workmanship, with superb execution.

Well done!

Carl Eyman
10-28-2008, 4:36 PM
Robert:

I, too, made Lonnie Bird's desk. I'd gone to Colonial Williamsburg's Working Wood in the 18th Century the year they did desks and came back and tried to copy the one Jeff Hadley made. Even though he was generous in sharing pictures it was too much for me to manage without dimensions. etc.

So I tried Lonnie Bird's. I can't cut dovetail by hand or saw veneer; so mine is far less a masterpiece than yours, but it looks good in my Son's living room.

In your case vacuum veneering was a learning experience. In mine I learned to hammer veeneer the draw fronts. This was my swan song. I don't haqve the stamina anymore; so I've closed my shop.

If you want to see pictures go to www.eyman.org/furniture.

I join the others in appreciating your work. keep it up.

mreza Salav
10-28-2008, 6:02 PM
Well, I guess there is not much I can add to what has already been said.
Very fine looking pieces and you have done one, oh no, two, fantastic jobs!!

Jason Tuinstra
10-28-2008, 9:13 PM
Robert, great work. They look stunning.

Brett CoughlanAus
10-29-2008, 4:41 AM
Robert,

Beautiful work in a great tradition, finishing would have been the least of my worries :o

Robert LaPlaca
10-29-2008, 5:28 PM
Robert:

I, too, made Lonnie Bird's desk. I'd gone to Colonial Williamsburg's Working Wood in the 18th Century the year they did desks and came back and tried to copy the one Jeff Hadley made. Even though he was generous in sharing pictures it was too much for me to manage without dimensions. etc.

So I tried Lonnie Bird's. I can't cut dovetail by hand or saw veneer; so mine is far less a masterpiece than yours, but it looks good in my Son's living room.

In your case vacuum veneering was a learning experience. In mine I learned to hammer veeneer the draw fronts. This was my swan song. I don't haqve the stamina anymore; so I've closed my shop.

If you want to see pictures go to www.eyman.org/furniture (http://www.eyman.org/furniture).

I join the others in appreciating your work. keep it up.

Carl,

I love the pictures you have posted at your web site, I really like your fan carving on the center drawer of the glass doored cabinet.

I also really love the dinning room table..

Thanks for the kind words..

Jerry Olexa
10-30-2008, 7:28 PM
Outstanding work....Nicely done...Thanks