PDA

View Full Version : wood type and jewlery ????

John Nowack
10-18-2008, 1:43 PM
sorry for the bad pic---my friend lost one of these ear rings---the guy at the art show told her that the wood is "naturally" this color scheme---I just can't imagine that is true---if so, does anyone know what kind it is

also any good ideas how to duplicate it for her or make her a set claoe to it(looks like die or air brushing is involved to me)

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2008, 6:53 PM
I tend to agree with you John. It looks like it was dyed or air brushed. I have never made jewelry except for a set of round ear rings cut in half with a jagged cut. I am not sure how you would go about that one.

John Nowack
10-18-2008, 7:48 PM
if I figured out the color or wood type I tought I could just bandsaw and said it to shape

Jim Becker
10-18-2008, 8:28 PM
Definitely dyed or airbrushed with a transparent coloration material; perhaps Golden acrylics in transparent. The key to making a replacement is going to be finding something that matches the bark if that's a natural edge on the bottom and is light in color and fine-grained. The photos are a bit blurry in that respect.

Those are pretty small to do at the band saw safely...I'm thinking you're going to have to make the slices at the bench with a fine hand-saw.

Paul Gallian
10-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Part of a palm frond?
part of a pine cone?

Both of these can have this color

Clara Koss
10-19-2008, 2:12 AM
if it was natural color at one time i doubt it would stay that way for long so in my opinion it is a stain....