PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Floors?

Don Bullock
10-18-2008, 1:35 PM
I'm getting to the point where I can start working on the floor of my new shop/garage. I need information on the different brands of epoxy pain/coatings and would appreciate your input. I'll use mats where I stand when using my power tools and work benches. With an 8' ceiling I don't want to add height to the floor by putting in a wood floor or something else that would diminish the space between floor and ceiling.

Andy Casiello
10-18-2008, 2:06 PM
I used the Rustoleum garage floor epoxy product, and I am VERY happy with the results. I put the epoxy down on a brand new garage floor (after waiting about 5 weeks). Nothing had been moved into the garage prior to the epoxy being laid down.

The epoxy was easy to put down, and has lasted great. It looks great, cleans easily, is rough enough so you don't slip on it. Great stuff.

This is what I used:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=16

Mike Cutler
10-18-2008, 2:34 PM
Andy's got it. Go for the epoxy.
Watch your temps and humidity, mix and apply per the directions. Get a helper if you have a large area,a nd be sure to have some really good ventilation going.
Epoxy floors can slippier than snot on humid mornings, or if they get snow on them.(DAMHIKT!) If needed an anti slip compound can be added.

Ken Garlock
10-18-2008, 2:38 PM
Greetings Don.

I have Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy on the shop cement floor, two coats. Back in 2002 when it was put down, it was called Tile-Clad but I think they have renamed it. Any S/W store can fix you up with the new stuff. The price was around $80 two full one-gallon cans, parts A and B.

I am very happy with it. The cement will chip before the paint comes off.

Warning, it stinks, stinks, stinks for about 3 or 4 days.:eek:

glenn bradley
10-18-2008, 3:33 PM
My neighbor has it, my boss has it, I swore I wouldn't move in until I had done my floor BUT, the sellers were tardy getting out and blew that deal. Nasty painted concrete in need of maintenance for me. Do it, you'll love it.

Luther Oswalt
10-19-2008, 8:15 AM
Don - I would reccomend you get in touch with a paint company's industrial tech-rep. They can provide you with great guidence and advise you on site ... this is what I did when I built my shop and I'm glad I did. The tech-rep spent about an hour on site giving me great information. I followed his advice and ended up with a very nice floor which is going to last a long time. I used Sherwin-Williams urthane since there will not be hot vehicle tires to worry about nor will I have to worry about UV damage from the sun.
Leo

Karl Brogger
10-19-2008, 7:14 PM
I used the Epoxyshield Professional kit. Also did a clear coat over the top. I was told to avoid the garage stuff, because it is water based and won't adhere as well as the solvent based Professional kit.

The stuff stinks. Prepare to lose a few braincells.

Don't bother with the acid etch stuff that they promote. Either sandblast, or rent a big floor sander to give it some texture. I used thier acid, and I have a few small bubbles cause she didn't stick.:( Do not use muratic (sp) acid either, it'll seep into the pores of the concrete and not come out.

Don't bother putting the chips down on the first coat, (if you want them at all). I thought I was putting the paint on super thick...... Until it started to dry and there were areas it was thin and required a 2nd coat. So I have paint, chips, another coat of paint, chips, then the clear coat. I also did a maroon colour, with the grey it might not show when it isn't adequetly covered.

Buy the best roller you can find. Heavy duty is key, that stuff rolls hard.

Wash, wash, wash, and then wash again. Degrease everything multiple times.

Have a 2nd person start cutting in ahead of you with a brush.

Laydown a drop cloth where you are mixing. I've got some drops on the apron in front of my garage that really piss me off.

Took me about a week doing basically one step every day.

Karl Brogger
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Ah, more fun facts.

I spent about $700. To have this professionally put down, they wanted $5 sq/ft. That's more than what the concrete cost to put down! It would've been $3k to do the garage.

The kits cover 500 sq/ft. That's pretty kick ass when you've got a 600 sq/ft garage..... I threw away alot of paint for no good reason. Had I been thinking I would've painted the inside of my enclosed trailer, whatever. I could've made use of it somehow!!

John Keeton
10-20-2008, 7:35 AM
You guys are destroying my creativity! I had always considered my shop floor a "canvas" on which to create a lifetime masterpiece - with bits of grease here, a little spilled paint there, over here some drippings from a sloppy finish job, etc.

If I had epoxied my floor as suggested, what would I have to appreciate over the years - and, yes, the memories of each spill. Particularly that spot over by the bench that has the appearance of a blood stain!

Just kiddin' - those floors look great and I admire the effort that went into them. Wish I had done mine, but it certainly is a job you get only one opportunity to do.

Go for it Ed!! But, I would check to see if you will be violating some environmental law out there - and, make sure to pay that "shop floor finish" permit fee!