PDA

View Full Version : OK, One Last Round - Guess What This Is?

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I went wood shopping a few weeks ago at Turn About Wood in Kansas City. I was really on the hunt for some nice tight Curly (Tiger) Maple for a project and was drawn in by this wood. It was rather expensive, but I think it will make a beautiful top, especially when I resaw it and book match. Any gueses before spill the beans?

The fthird pick is the back side of the board, which has some white in the wood. I love the grain in this, much better in person in my opinion.

That's some spalted sycamore I picked up from a local guy for $3/bdft. It has some knots, but some real nice clear sections as well. No plans for it, but like the look.

Lars Thomas
05-20-2004, 10:44 AM
My guess is Cocobolo?

Mike Johnson - Chicago
05-20-2004, 11:09 AM
I can't tell the "true color" on my monitor...

Is there purple hues in the swirls? Is it hard and dense?

If so, I'd guess Morado (Pao Ferro/Bolivian rosewood).

Regards,
M.J.

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2004, 11:24 AM
No there are no purple swirls, but it is Pau Ferro. I had never seen it before and thought it looked awesome. It is very heavy and reminds me a lot to Cocobola. I understand they have similar characteristics.

KC going rate was $20/bdft. But hey, sometimes its nice to use something fancier then Maple or Oak. Anyways, I am thinking of matching it up with something light (i.e., Maple) to make a hallway table. The left over will be used as access on something else somewhere down the line.

Anyone use this before?

Byron Trantham
05-20-2004, 2:41 PM
Beautiful wood! How thick is it? :confused:

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2004, 3:12 PM
It is 4/4 stock that is surfaced to about 7/8". It still has some areas that need a little more TLC, but I should easily be able to resaw it close to 3/8" thick for the book match and them surface down to around 1/4" or more.