PDA

View Full Version : For Ron Petley

Charles Cannon
10-17-2008, 6:56 PM
I couldn't figure out how to PM this. This is my first attempt at making a wooden plane. I got Ron to heat treat the O-1 blade for me.

Ron Petley
10-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Charles, mighty fine looking. It looks about the right size for a small smoother or a good sized block plane, those long thin curls bring a tear to my eyes, nothing like home made.
Here is a few photos of the iron.
Here is my forge with a extension for slower heating and better heat control. Quench oil at 135F
Cheers Ron.

Ron Petley
10-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Here is the iron being checked for non magnetic, heating from the back prevents the thin tip from over heating. A few min at just over non magnetic is the goal.
And tempering the blades in the oven, kitchen that is. The sand keeps the iron from heat swings as the element comes on and off.
Cheers Ron.

Charles Cannon
10-25-2008, 7:26 AM
I got a handle made for the awl. I'am not a very good turner.
Cannon

John Keeton
10-25-2008, 7:37 AM
Neat plane Charles - ash body? Also, interesting pics from Ron on the heat treat process. I have given some passing thought to building a plane someday - this sparked the interest again. May put it on the list!

Charles Cannon
10-25-2008, 7:44 AM
It is Ash, I had some short pieces from a workbench project. I used a plan in a FWW magazine. I ordered a pieces of 1/4x2 inch O-1 steel from Enco.
Cannon

Ron Petley
10-28-2008, 3:51 PM
Looking good Charles, a nice wide handle for a comfie fit in the hand, glad to see it worked out. Cheers Ron.