PDA

View Full Version : Laser sales reps, where are you?

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone else completely impressed by people like Mike Mackenzie who actually understand the power of the internet in their business?

Why aren't there more rep's here? Don't they think we are important? Not just sales reps, but people like Peck from Epilog as well. To be able to come on to a forum in the middle of the night or on weekends and get answers is an amazing resource and a value that all manufacturers should take advantage of (in my opinion).

I'm really surprised at how few people on this forum actually are sales reps or factory people. With so many people here, we ARE their target market in many respects, yet they don't put any resources into it.

So hats off to Peck, Mike, and the few others that I can't remember right now.

Doug Griffith
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
It is amazing isn't it? With my online sales, I monitor my logs to see where the action is coming from (usually forums & blogs) and then make a point to interact with them as much as possible. You'd think reps would inundate this forum. Factory folks as well. They either don't know or don't care.

Cheers,
Doug

Jeanette Brewer
10-17-2008, 1:10 PM
We're here! We try to help any time we can!

Scott Erwin
10-17-2008, 1:12 PM
I have always been happy with Kevin Huffman from Signwarehouse.com

He seems to be willing to help when he can and if you send him a question he usually gets back to you with some solution.

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2008, 1:16 PM
:o Sorry Jeanette! You and Roy are at the top of that list as well.

I told you I forgot some names :)

Derek Kern
10-17-2008, 5:22 PM
We don't have a heap of customers here but the ones we have are top notch! I check the Creek daily to make sure all of Kern's customers that utilize this great site are getting their questions answered correctly!

Mike Null
10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Steve

I can't think of any brands other than Gravogaph which are not represented here. Some haven't identified themselves but there is at least one other member from ULS besides Mike, Roy and Jeanette distribute Epilog and Xenetech, Andy Wingfield is a rep for Trotec and GCC is represented for at least two of their brands as well.

We had one rep for a Chinese laser though I don't recall seeing any posts lately.

I'm not disagreeing with you though because I believe reps from every territory should be members.

I belong to an engravers forum and even fewer are represented there.

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Mike, I agree, there are some rep's from most companies here, but I think there is a big difference in people like Peck, Mike, Roy, and a few others, who spend their free time after hours online, helping folks, as opposed to those who rarely contribute to anything on the forum.

You'd think they'd be standing in line here to answer posts.

I'm told that ULS has factory people monitoring websites, but they don't officially have people here answering questions. Peck's responses seem to always be followed with a "I'm not in tech support, but here's what I'd do", which is a clear signal that he's here more as himself than as an Epilog rep. He may correct me on that, but that's the feeling I get.

With many of these people having the most knowledge in the industry, you'd think they would be stacked up to help the users advance the field. Instead, the vast majority of them aren't even members.

I'd just like to see a lot more participation from reps, techs, and factory people, even factory engineers who can help explain things we all might be confused or struggling with.

John Noell
10-17-2008, 11:00 PM
...Peck's responses seem to always be followed with a "I'm not in tech support, but here's what I'd do", which is a clear signal that he's here more as himself than as an Epilog rep.Regardless of what capacity he is in, I went with Epilog in very large part because of Peck and his presence here. When you are as far away from tech support as I am, you want really supportive people you can count on. This forum has been a lifesaver and inspiration.

Rob Bosworth
10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess I will have to Toot my own horn. Don't forget about Rob Bosworth who reps old stuff. Been in the business since 1981:D

Sometimes we even refer to ourselves as the Sanford and Sons of the Laser Engraving Business.

Marc Myer
10-21-2008, 1:13 PM
It's OK with us if you toot your own horns a little more, folks!

I'd guess the reps on this forum don't want to be seen as overanxious to sell products, so they keep a lower profile and provide help when needed.

Would that be accurate?

Jeanette Brewer
10-21-2008, 1:57 PM
Marc,

There are fairly specific rules about selling, advertising, generally "tooting our own horns" on the Creek. Indeed, most of the reps/distributors/mfgs that appear here do so only to help, when/if needed.

Having said that, though, of course the "smart" rep/distributor/mfg knows that being here to help reaps benefits down the road. We all hope you remember our names when you want to buy something that we sell! :)

Mitchell Andrus
10-21-2008, 2:02 PM
I think farming in a group that already has a laser isn't very productive.

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2008, 2:25 PM
I think farming in a group that already has a laser isn't very productive.

I'd have to disagree with that. When I was researching lasers, I went to google and entered it. It got me here. Same thing for most people in the laser area, they found this forum while researching, and they bought a laser based on the recommendations, reviews, and comments by people about models and makes.

When we buy another laser to add to our shop (I'm being optimistic today!), the relationships I've seen here will certainly influence my decision. My guess is the majority of people in this area of the forum didn't have a laser prior to joining this forum, or at least reading it.

David Dustin
10-21-2008, 2:54 PM
I'd have to disagree with that. When I was researching lasers, I went to google and entered it. It got me here. Same thing for most people in the laser area, they found this forum while researching, and they bought a laser based on the recommendations, reviews, and comments by people about models and makes.

When we buy another laser to add to our shop (I'm being optimistic today!), the relationships I've seen here will certainly influence my decision. My guess is the majority of people in this area of the forum didn't have a laser prior to joining this forum, or at least reading it.

I agree with Scott (Steve).
We came here after searching the web. We bought our laser based on the recomendations here. Those recommendations steered us away from one brand to another, and caused us to avoid a specifc brand all together.

So this IS a good place for reps to be. I don't think they should be overt about it, but available (Mike McKensie is a great example).

I would like to see us take things even little farther and possibly form a support network for other users (I can't go into specifics, but 2 users here did that for me, calling and raising hell about something which helped get an issue resolved). For example if a user is experiencing trouble with their machine, we could have a collective voice. It really is all we have in addition to the choice of where we spend our money.

The upside would be improved sales to those active here and better customer service to those of us who purchase equipment.

Initially I would not think it would help the Chinese laser owners (that is not a slap, just that I don't think the Chinese mfgs. are as concerned with public preasure) but the rest of us should benifit.

David

David Fairfield
10-21-2008, 3:03 PM
Peck RuLeS !

:D

Peck Sidara
10-21-2008, 5:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.:D

I'm here and won't be going any where soon. Great place, great folks and a wealth of information.