PDA

View Full Version : Worms under bark in wallnut?

jason lambert
10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I sourced some wallnut but it had been on the ground for several months I turned some of the wood and it is good but it seems allot if it has worms (dark head and clear body about 1/2" long) under the bark. I was hoping to keep this wood for the winter since I am busy with yard owrk and don't have time to turn. My question is now that it is split, sealed and off the ground will it dry and will the worms go away, is there a safe way to kill them? or do I have to try to get all the bark off, or do I simply have to use it. They didn't seem to do much damage just right under the bark for now.

I assume I can't put this near any of my other wood they will also attack it.

Prashun Patel
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
You should get the worms out or kill them.

Reed Gray
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
The worms will go into the sap wood, but not the heart wood. Knocking the bark off will get rid of some of them, but probably not all.
robo hippy

Ted Calver
10-17-2008, 12:41 PM
One vote here for removing the bark to reduce worm damage to any turning blanks.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2008, 1:40 PM
I normally don't frequent the Turner forum, but I once made a clock for a customer using a slab of walnut burl from California, when we lived down there. It too had worms, though with no bark I could see only a couple of tiny holes on the surface. After sanding I sealed it completely with resin.

Several month later the customer had me come look at it on the wall. There were several new holes on the face and rear with bits of sawdust (powder) showing. I offered to try and kill them but she liked it that way and decided to leave them alone.

Curt Fuller
10-17-2008, 6:01 PM
They can't hold on for very long once you start turning the wood. Just remember to keep your mouth closed or be ready to spit them out real quick.
I don't think I've ever cut any wood, dead or alive, that didn't have some kind of critters living in it. But if you're storing it inside you probably don't want to make house guests out of them. Whatever they look like, they're larva of something that has one purpose in life, to reproduce and make more of the same. For that reason I don't store wood inside if I think it has any bugs still living in it.

William Bachtel
10-17-2008, 8:09 PM
Don't kill worms they make worm holes.