PDA

View Full Version : sanding drums for drill press

Charles Trout
10-17-2008, 9:12 AM
I decided to pick up a sanding drum kit for my drill press for edge sanding contours for an adirondack chair I'm making.

I wanted to get the sleeveless kind so I didn't have to buy and store sanding drums. I found the kit I wanted on Amazon, selling from Peachtrees store. At $60, it seemed expensive but I've ordered from them before and was happy with the quality. Also, the Amazon store link claimed "Made in USA".

Later, when I was home I made the purchase using Peachtree's website.

Yesterday, I recieved the packages. Opened the drums and, while inspecting them I turned the key to "unlock" the sandpaper. The mechanism seemed kind of cheap, so I turned the key to lock it. And then it cracked!

Here's proof:

You can see the little crack near the locking mechanism. I certainly didn't force it. I wonder what kind of cheap-o material this thing is made out of.

I decided to put the whole project on hold and send it back. That's when I noticed on the box, Made in Taiwan. Now, Peachtree's website doesn't claim they are made in the USA, just the Amazon site.

For $60 I really expected something much better quality.

I called Peachtree and she assured me a return wouldn't be a problem. I'm considering calling back and asking for a refund on all my shipping charges as well.

Whew. That's a long story.

Finally, can anyone recommend a good drum sanding kit for my drill press? I'm half tempted to just buy the cheapest thing on ebay as a throw-away...but I would rather have something that will last.

Thanks.

Scott Schwake
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Charles,

I am also making some adirondacks and decided I needed some type of spindle sander. I bought a sleeve type sanding drum from Lee Valley and am happy with it. They also sell the sleeveless type drums, looks like they are less expensive than the Peachtree you bought. I also bought the bearing support which works really slick, might be something to consider.

After using the drum for a while, I could see where an oscillating spindle sander would be nice. I think at some point down the road I'll end up buying one of those little Ridgid spindle sanders everyone here seems to like.

Scott

Bill White
10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Used the DP spindle for a long time. Added the Ridgid belt/spindle last year. Best $200.00 spent. Always ready, and I don't have to break down between uses.
The DP setup is also tough on spindle bearings.
Bill

Charles Trout
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll go check out that Ridgid sander.

Maurice Ungaro
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Triton just came out with an oscillating spindle sander for $150. It has a darn good sized C.I. table, and PLENTY of spindles. Also has nice adapters for dust collection. Need to get one of those myself.

Myk Rian
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I second the Ridgid belt/spindle sander. Nice tool for the money.

jason lambert
10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I just did alot of research people really like the ridged. The jet is the best but double the price. The main advantage of the jet is a tilting table and cast iron.