PDA

View Full Version : G0632 16" x 42" Variable Speed Wood Lathe

Rick Huelsbeck
10-17-2008, 8:32 AM
I've just noticed that Grizzly has an electronic variable speed lathe, has anyone got any experience with this thing? It looks like the head both swivels and can run up and down the bed. http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2008, 9:35 AM
Rick grizzly lathes in the past have left alot to be desired, This was their first atempt to make a lathe that was keeping up with the rest of the bunch. To me it looks like a jet clone and a fine lathe at a good price but it is unproven and not many own it yet do to past experience. If you get give it a review on here.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
It is a Jet 1642 knock off. I would save a few more pennies and get the 1642 IMHO. It is proven, 5 yr warranty, etc.

Marcus Ward
10-21-2008, 2:50 PM
The Jet1642 is made where to justify the 600$ larger price tag? That's a lot more than a few more pennies. Grizzly stands behind their products. I would have no problem buying from them as the many large green machines in my shop will attest to.

Mike Ramsey
10-21-2008, 4:49 PM
The past Grizzly lathes have been not much more than what HF has to offer, I would buy their big green wood working machines but not the
lathes, that said I have not read anything about this particular lathe
good or bad.

Marcus Ward
10-21-2008, 5:33 PM
The past Grizzly lathes have been not much more than what HF has to offer, I would buy their big green wood working machines but not the
good or bad.

So you're saying it's bad without having actually used it? A friend of mine has one of their cheaper lathes and it's actually quite well made and does a great job. No it doesn't go to 50 rpm, but how often do you turn something that needs to go that slow??

Richard Madison
10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Looks like about $450 difference for the Jet 1-1/2 hp on Amazon. The Griz certainly looks like a copy of the Jet. Hard to say if this is a good deal without additional data.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2008, 11:50 PM
good or bad.

So you're saying it's bad without having actually used it? A friend of mine has one of their cheaper lathes and it's actually quite well made and does a great job. No it doesn't go to 50 rpm, but how often do you turn something that needs to go that slow??

Marcus,

If I read Mike's quote correctly, he said "The past Grizzly lathes have not been much more than what HF has to offer.....That said, I have not read anything about this particular lathe good or bad"

He is not saying it's bad.

Marcus Ward
10-22-2008, 7:09 AM
Prefacing the comment in that way is saying that it is probably bad without actually doing so. It's called weasel words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word).

Mike Ramsey
10-22-2008, 8:12 AM
Ward, apparently you take issue with anyone not loving your particular
favorite brand....So how about you buy one of these lathes then
give us your glowing review!

Rick Huelsbeck
10-22-2008, 8:21 AM
Didn't mean to start a feud here folks. Dennis K. (thank you so much for the link BTW) sent me a link that I will share with you guys. Nothing has been posted on it since Jan so I'd like to know the outcome as well. 1 was good, 1 was up in the air as there seemed to be a few issues in the electronics. Sounded like Grizzly was certainly showing great customer service in trying to resolve it though. I find that Customer Service is just as important as the product as any product can have the occasional issue.

The above info can be found on the familywoodworking (.org) website, in the Turning Tool Questions and Show & Tell Forum, title: My new Griz progress report
(http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6968&highlight=g0632)

Wayne Bower
10-22-2008, 8:49 AM
Don't often post in these discussions, but I turn on a Grizz G0462 which I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. I have had fine luck with it and also with their customer service. I have been looking at the Grizz VS as an upgrade to VS. Just my 2c worth. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 9:06 AM
Prefacing the comment in that way is saying that it is probably bad without actually doing so. It's called weasel words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word).

Marcus,

With all due respect,

in the past the designs of Grizzley lathes left a lot to be desired. One of them had an articulated arm tool rest for example. There were several members here that bought them and had the tool rest break. If you looked at the design you knew it was going to break. It was like some of their designs were just an after thought...."Wait....we don't have a lathe....who wants to design a lathe?.....Go for it!".......The bottom end speed on several of their lathes was not appropriate for spinning up large unbalanced blanks.

There are a large number of members here that use Grizzley equipments daily and like them. Lathes historically has not been Grizzley's better designed or built pieces of equipment.

Marcus Ward
10-22-2008, 9:17 AM
Fair enough. (And no, Grizzly is not my favorite brand.)

Charles Bentham
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Get a variable frequency drive & change out that single phase motor with a 3 phase motor. You will have great speed control. Any kind of lathe.
I have the Grizzly that har a mechanical speed change. I wasn't impressed, so I put a 3 phase motor & drive on it. I like it. I had a Thread 2 days ago titled -Grizzly wood lathe - speed control

Charles Bentham
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Get a variable frequency drive & change out that single phase motor with a 3 phase motor. You will have great speed control. Any kind of lathe.
I have the Grizzly that has a mechanical speed change. I wasn't impressed, so I put a 3 phase motor & drive on it. I like it. I had a Thread 2 days ago titled -Grizzly wood lathe - speed control