PDA

View Full Version : Unreal, 3rd Vintage Gloat

John Bailey
10-17-2008, 5:17 AM
About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to outfit my shop with vintage machines. I like to research things, so I spent months deciding what I wanted. I ended up with a 1942 Parks Planer that took me a year to rebuild, a 1948 Delta 14" band saw, and a 1956 9" DeWalt radial arm saw. Although I've got a small shop, I felt the band saw and RAS were a bit small for the projects I was working on, so I sold them. Out of frustration, I tried to sell the planer, but nobody wanted it.

So, I decide on getting a DeWalt GWI, 10" RAS - couldn't find one, and an Oliver 192 - couldn't find one of those either. I was also looking for a small Delta floor standing drill press.

All of a sudden, after years of keeping my eyes open, within a week I've found all three. The GWI (per other post) is in Maine, the drill press is in Northern Wisconsin, and the Oliver is in Southern Wisconsin.

For those of you that know the term - I got some "Ruckerin'" to do. I'll be off to Wisconsin next weekend to pick up the Oliver and the drill press. Just after Christmas it'll be off to Maine to pick up the GWI.

And so with this:

98790 98791

98792 98793

My stable is complete!:D

Any suggestions on how to load and transport an Oliver 192 bandsaw with a Toyota Tacoma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Don Bullock
10-17-2008, 8:02 AM
Wow! John, you're really on a roll. Congratulations on your "new" machines.

Jim Becker
10-17-2008, 8:17 AM
Man, you've really been "stepping in it" this week! Congrats on yet another great find and buy!

Unlike a Euro style band saw that you could lay down on its spine, this one you'll want to keep upright in the truck bed and have it fastened tight against the front of the bed/back of the cab. But a low trailer might be more manageable... ;)

Greg Cole
10-17-2008, 8:20 AM
John,
I have a Tacoma and me thinks a trailer would be "the way".....
Oh yeah, nice gloats BTW.

Greg

Mike Null
10-17-2008, 8:33 AM
John
Congratualations! That is a beauty.

I think a small trailer and a rugged crate would be the way.

I would consider some expanding insulating foam to help secure it inside the crate.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2008, 8:41 AM
Congrats John! Chris will be along to inform you that Old Metal Gloats are limited to 1 a day and you have now metal your limit for today. :rolleyes:

John Bailey
10-17-2008, 8:59 AM
Congrats John! Chris will be along to inform you that Old Metal Gloats are limited to 1 a day and you have now metal your limit for today. :rolleyes:

Ain't no metal here, this's Old 'Arn!!

John

Bob Slater
10-17-2008, 8:59 AM
Wow, very neat and beefy bandsaw. Don't wear it out! Happy motoring!

Steve Rozmiarek
10-17-2008, 9:09 AM
Thats interesting how they all came about in such short order. You have great taste in tools!

David Werkheiser
10-17-2008, 9:17 AM
I have use of a fold-up engine lifts that Harbor Freight sells for about $150. I used it receintly to get a Delta 15" planer into my GMC van (with-out base).
They fold-up to a compact size and set up quickly. I would remove the base to get a lower center of gravity, and see if I could get it in the pick-up bed sitting upright.
Nice find!
David Werkheiser

Chris Padilla
10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
hahaha....

Having fun, John? ;)

Nice finds, nice finds....

Wilbur Pan
10-17-2008, 1:03 PM
If you can, put the bandsaw on a skid, and transport it upright. Your Toyota Tacoma should be fine. Nice find!

John Bailey
10-18-2008, 7:38 AM
After doing a little research, and getting suggestions from the OWWM guys, it seems that Oliver, back in the day, considered the model 192 a "portable" band saw. At least that's what the brochure said. In less than a half hour your supposed to be able to unscrew the top wheel and take it off, two bolts takes off the table, the motor unbolts easily, and four more bolts separates the main casting from the base. You end up with 600 lbs. split amongst five pieces, easily put into the pick up. And you guys complain about that little DeWalt benchtop planer.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm not sure Oliver was thinking of a guy with 10 thumbs and a bad back to get this done in 30 minutes, but I'll let you know how I did.

John

Frank Drew
10-18-2008, 8:42 AM
John,

I sold my 192-D last Spring; the new owner hired two strong guys with a box truck (came with a ramp) and a refrigerator dolly. Considering how much cast iron was in that band saw I was surprised how quickly they got it loaded. I'd been considering taking off at least the table, but it moved well as it was.

Congrats, it's a very nice machine.

[I had taken the wheels off once, when I sent them to Oliver to have new tires applied, back when Oliver was still in business. They advised slacking off the band's tension each night, to save the tire from getting a permanent groove over time.]

Alan DuBoff
10-18-2008, 2:34 PM
Nice saw, that's a worthy gloat!

I would love to find an old band saw some day, and lust for a Yates American Y30/Y36 snowflake, but in the event I could find a Y20 that would be all the better space wise.

Oliver 192 is a great size for most all shops though.

You lucky dog! ;)

Frank Drew
10-20-2008, 1:04 PM
... a Yates American Y30/Y36 snowflake...

Such a beautiful design. It's sad that that aspect of machine making has all but disappeared.

John Schreiber
10-20-2008, 1:52 PM
You must be doing something right to get all those goodies at once. Enjoy.

John Bailey
10-20-2008, 8:10 PM
You must be doing something right to get all those goodies at once. Enjoy.

Two years ago when I first started looking, I wouldn't have had the money to buy all three like this. I could've found a drill press, but the Oliver 192 and the GWI were not to be found. I decided to buy new and save first. Once I had enough to buy a new bandsaw, drill press and a guided saw system, I started looking at new models. Them, boom, all the vintage models I was looking for became available.

My dad use to always say "it's better to be lucky than to be good." I most definitely fit the former at this point.

John

James Williams 007
10-22-2008, 4:58 AM
I caught the bug for the old stuff after getting my hands on a GWI. i'd love to own a bandsaw like that one day! good luck!