PDA

View Full Version : This is just overboard!!!

Casey Gooding
10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I got the new Craftsman catalog from Sears yesterday and was perusing it at dinner. I nearly dropped my fork when I found......A handsaw........with a laser!!!!! I mean really!!!!
Maybe I should attach a laser to a hand plane and sell the idea. I bet I could make a bundle.

Jacob Reverb
10-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I especially like the battery-powered adjustable Crescent wrench ads that Craftsman runs during the holiday season...NO MORE DRUDGERY OF TURNING THE SCREW ON YOUR ADJUSTABLE WRENCHES, JUST PRESS THE BUTTON! :o

I wonder how many of them get purchased as Christmas presents by wives whose husbands toss them into the trash by New Year's Day...

Dave Lehnert
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Link about that a few weeks ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93043

Denny Rice
10-16-2008, 11:55 PM
I agree with both of you..Sears can take a good idea (example: a quality handsaw) and turn it into a joke by putting a laser on it.....Come on' guys. You know whats really sad, is the Sears/Craftsman brand 25 years ago put out a decent tool. I have an old fixed base router (20+ years old) that was built in the USA and I still will pull it out every now and then, but back in the day I used it quite often and could not kill it. Now Craftsman is like "Folder Cable" they both make throw away tools that are not worth my money.

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I agree with both of you..Sears can take a good idea (example: a quality handsaw) and turn it into a joke by putting a laser on it.....Come on' guys. You know whats really sad, is the Sears/Craftsman brand 25 years ago put out a decent tool. I have an old fixed base router (20+ years old) that was built in the USA and I still will pull it out every now and then, but back in the day I used it quite often and could not kill it. Now Craftsman is like "Folder Cable" they both make throw away tools that are not worth my money.
This is not a Craftsman band item.

Johnny Kleso
10-17-2008, 1:02 AM
I seen a 4 1/2" Right Angle Hand Grinder today at Enco or HF with a Laser :)

Brent Smith
10-17-2008, 6:41 AM
AHH, tis the season for wasteful spending on gimmicks, and the tool world plans on getting their share.

Samuel Brooks
10-17-2008, 7:19 AM
My wife picked me up one of these for a present. I kind of though it was a joke when I first saw it, but I find that I adapted to it really fast and it has become my goto tool instead of the hand operated one because my cheap hand ones like to constantly loosing when doing a project, especially when you are reaching around something to use it.

I most likely would not have bought it, but now that I have it, I use it allot. :-).

Sam

Tom Henderson2
10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Just a thought, but for a newbie, the laser might be very helpful in learning to align the blade with the cut line.

Better yet would have been a clip-on device that could be moved from saw to saw, and removed when "training wheels" are no longer required.

-TH

Jerome Hanby
10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
As silly as you make it sound, my B&D version is great for all those instances where I have to get into a tight space and don't have room to tweak the adjustment by hand.

Plus it was a Christmas present form the folks, free is always good :D

I especially like the battery-powered adjustable Crescent wrench ads that Craftsman runs during the holiday season...NO MORE DRUDGERY OF TURNING THE SCREW ON YOUR ADJUSTABLE WRENCHES, JUST PRESS THE BUTTON! :o

I wonder how many of them get purchased as Christmas presents by wives whose husbands toss them into the trash by New Year's Day...

Jim Koepke
10-17-2008, 2:24 PM
I am holding out for a saw with gyroscopic tilt and cut control.

Now that it is said, we will likely see them for Christmas 2009.

jim