PDA

View Full Version : off center pepper mill ???

John Nowack
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I was reading Bob Hallowell's tutorial on turning peppermills----here is my delima----My glue up will end up being 11.5L x 3.75W----I need the final ruff turned blank to be at least 11 inchs long by 2.5 wide (this is following the instructions and not turning the top seperatly like bob---it is to late for that because my boards are to short already)

It does not appear that I will end up with the blank being long enough once I turn it down if I off center it enough to make the seems twisted rather than just straight

ok sorry after all that--here is the readers digest version

DO YOU THINK I WILL END UP WITH A 11inch ROUND BLANK IF I OFfFCENTER TURN A 11.5 inch sqaure blank (geuss I can always go buy shorter mechanisms)

Brian Brown
10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
What kind of mechanism are you using? If it is a crush grind, the shaft can be easily cut down in length to any size. It may be possible to cut others also.

John Nowack
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
the bottom is smashed or lipped and the top os threaded for the nut

Dale Miner
10-17-2008, 7:46 AM
The shaft is fairly easy to shorten. After cutting to the new shorter length, clamp the shaft in a vise with only a 1/4 inch protruding above the jaws, and lighty peen a new upset on the end. You may need to protect the shaft from the serrations of the vise jaws with heavy paper of scrap pieces of sheet metal.

Later,
Dale M

Bob Hallowell
10-17-2008, 9:47 AM
John,
first you can make them shorter it doesn't matter. I normally start with a longer glue up to get a 12" mill but I do make shorter. Next I only use the stainless steal mech like you said and buy them in 14" lenghts so I can cut them to any lenght. I find it is easier to cut the shaft then be excact on the mill size. When I cut the shaft I peen the bottom edges over so it still catches on the bottom grinder.

As for your glue up I would still cut off a 2 3/4 piece for the top, if you don't the twist won't match up becuase of the parting cut and the tenon. you should still end up with a 10-10.5" mill.

Bob