PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Bench-top Drill Press

Dan Strebig
05-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Once again a new guy is raising an old debate: which drill press to buy. Now I know this is like asking if you think Chevy or Ford makes a better pickup, but I also know it's possible to be more objective. I'd sure appreciate your input.

Up front: cost is not an issue; shop space and shipping weight are. Light shop use for both metal and wood.

From other threads it seems that Jet, Grizzly and Shop Fox brands were well liked. The Delta 350 had mixed feed-back as well as the Shop Fox, though the latter seems to fit a multi-tool niche that no other dp does (and I'd like to know more). The Grizzly sounds terribly heavy, which I would probably like except for the fact it needs to be shipped overseas.
So, what would be the concensus for the ultimate bench-top DP considering my criteria?
Also, who are the best mail-order / internet companies to buy through?

Dan

Stefan Antwarg
05-20-2004, 6:27 AM
Keep in mind that a floor drill press really doesn't take up much room. You just put it in the corner. With that said, I own a 12" bench top Delta and have been happy with it. I keep it on my main workbench. I am sure there are better drill presses out there, but when I bought it, space was also an issue.

Stefan

Tyler Howell
05-20-2004, 6:56 AM
Welcome Dan.

I have to agree with Stefan that floor space isn't a major problem with a DP. In my small shop Bench space is the premium commodity. My bench makes an excellent work support for projects on the DP .
With a floor DP I have seen some very creative cabinets that wrap around the base and then can be rolled out for what ever.
I have the Delta and am very pleased. I think I'm becoming a Jet Man. DC, BS, and air filter sys have been excellent.
I have had great luck with Tool Crib/Amazon. (Sales, no S&H for some items, no tax) They're in bed together some how and have gotten great service from both.
Good luck.

Tyler
Knowledge Is Power

Dominic Greco
05-20-2004, 7:54 AM
Dan,
I've had the Delta 12" benchtop Drill Press for the last 5 years. My wife bought it for me for Xmas of 1998. It was also one of the tools that was in the basement shop of my old house. The same one that was flooded by Hurricane Floyd. This tool was under water for about 2 days. After cleaning it out (as per my "Restoring Power Tools after a Flood" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/5/) article documents), it has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years.

When I first got it, I designed and built a Rolling Cart for it to sit on. After that, I built the WOOD Magazine Deluxe Drill Press Table. (I've included a picture of the assembly). The addition of those two shop built items really enhanced it's performance. I have enjoyed using it and feel it is one of my favorite and most used tools.

Jim Becker
05-20-2004, 8:25 AM
Stefan brings up a good point...in most cases, a floor model DP actually takes up less room since you can move it out of the way without lifting it. A benchtop takes bench space unless you build a cabinet like Dominc shows...which takes up more room. The floor models generally have better specifications for the money including longer throw (depth of cut) which is often important.

Mark Kelly
05-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I can finally give my input here instead of asking questions. I just purchased a floor model, Ridgid DP. Now, I know you are not asking about these, but just having set it up, I know I will appreciate the extra space when I need to. And just like Tyler said, you can build a cabinet that wraps around the stem that can hold all the bits and other DP accessories. I already have a plan to build one!

But, because you mentioned that you have to ship yours overseas, a benchtop might be more economical (in terms of shipping). But, if cost is not an option, might as well look into a floor type, if not only to compare, but to make sure you don't regret getting not getting one if the need arises. Maybe the shipping on it might not be so bad compared to a benchtop.

Jim Becker
05-20-2004, 10:43 AM
I missed that part about shipping overseas. Before you buy anything, you'll want to establish compatibility with US-oriented tools with where it will need to be used. You can't just "use a converter" and 60hz motors, even if they convert to 240v, don't always work right or at least perform well on 50hz power, etc. Do your homework before you put out your money since you'll take a bath if you need to sell your tools due to incompatibility.

Perry Schmidt
05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Another thought. If you are thinking in the 'small' range of a 12", I would strongly consider the DP350. I have a Grizzly. I like it a lot. Have no complaints. BUT bought it just before Delta came out w/ an affordable drill press with 'solid state speed control'. If you want to change speed, no belts to change, just dial it in. Easy to reach, easy to do. I end up changing the speed on my DP a lot. So if I was buying today, I would strongly consider the DP350 just for the 'dial in the speed, no belt changes' feature. That would be VERY nice.

I can't wait for them to come out with a nice 14"-17" drill press with this feature in the 'affordable' range. They've done a great job on the 12" pricing for this feature. But are still a long ways away for the next size up. :(

Anyway, a feature worth looking at.

Perry

JayStPeter
05-20-2004, 11:30 AM
If cost truly isn't a consideration, I think both Delta and Powermatic make 15" (and up) variable speed industrial heads that can be setup in a benchtop arrangement. These are order what you want, height, table size, head. Mix/match components. Extremely pricey though.
Otherwise, I would tend toward the variable speed 12" Delta. Just because I hate belt changes and am very lazy about it.

Jay

Wayne Swindlehurst
05-20-2004, 11:57 AM
I have the new Delta variable speed and really like it a lot, although I've only had it a month time will be the real test. I upgraded from Delta's old model where you had to change speed with moving the belt. The new model also has a longer quill travel which also is very nice. Delta has always been good to me, no complaints.

Wayne

Jamie Buxton
05-20-2004, 1:00 PM
I have a Jet JDP-14J. I don't dislike it enough to replace it, but I wouldn't recommend it. The quill has more side play than I'd like, and the depth stop is klunky.

Monte Milanuk
05-20-2004, 9:08 PM
I'm also in the hunt for a small drill press. While I could theoretically get a monster drill press and stick it in the 'big' portion of the shop where vehicular stuff goes on, I'd prefer a nice small one that I can have in a corner on a mobile cabinet holding all the bits, accessories, etc. Previously I'd had the use of an 8" Craftsman 1/3HP that was really just too darn small and gutless for anything. I've been looking hard at the Grizzly benchtop models, though Delta is a possibility. And that dang Ryobi 12" at HD keeps catching my eye.

For those of you w/ the benchtop models, would you consider it worth the effort/$$$ to get a 14"+ model vs a 12"? What about one of the radial presses? I know they generally have a lower speed 'range', i.e. 5 speeds vs 12/14/16 so the low end speed for Forstner bits or fly-cutters bottoms out at like 400-500rpm or so. Is 1/2 HP sufficient, or is 3/4 the minimum and 1HP better, or is 1HP in a small DP too much?

Thanks,

Monte

Dan Strebig
05-21-2004, 9:01 PM
Thanks to you guys for helping me out with my info-gathering quest. You've given valueable input that has really swayed me back toward the Delta 350, which is what I had considered early on.
Nice photo, by the way, of your cabinet and table - would be interested in seeing the inside and understanding more of how to organize everything.
Thanks again - I doubt this will be the last you'll hear from me. :)

'Till the forest is gone,
Dan