PDA

View Full Version : It's getting there.

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 9:42 PM
Some have asked for updates on my shop/garage build to continue so I thought I'd post the latest progress.

The drywall is being finished tomorrow and the "drywall inspection is scheduled for Friday.

Tuff Shed sent a supervisor out to find out why the building wasn't ready for the final inspection. He was rather upset and worked along side one of his workers to do touch up painting.

They also painted and installed all the white trim around the windows, building corners and some other spots.

I called the garage door company today to let him know that the drywall is installed so the door can go in. He informed me that the door was a special order and it will take another two weeks :eek:, but if I wanted their other door it's in stock. If I wanted the other door I would have ordered it.:(

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 9:47 PM
On another front my contractor was able to track down and order the manufactured rock used by the former homeowner. We plan to have a column next to the shop matching the one in the pictures so that we can put a gate between the two columns.:D

Matt Ocel
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Don -
Looking Good.
You must be getting awful excited!
But you know that I have to ask, "What kind of a drywall inspection do they have after it has been taped" What could they possibly be looking for?

Jim O'Dell
10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree...they can't tell during the final inspection that the drywall is in??? I think they have people over a barrel and just want the extra money.
Don, it is really coming together. Thanks for the pics!! Jim.

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Don -
Looking Good.
You must be getting awful excited!
But you know that I have to ask, "What kind of a drywall inspection do they have after it has been taped" What could they possibly be looking for?

Matt, it's starting to get very exciting. Every time I go down to the new house I see progress, but the shop/garage is finally reaching the stage where it's almost finished. I'm very close to the end of the punch list. All that is left after this inspection is:

Installing garage door and opener
Taping drywall
final electrical (install all plugs, switches and lights inside and out)
Texture the drywall
Priming and painting the drywall (my job)
Installing gutters with covers to keep leaves out (another code requirement)
Put in flooring and/or paint floor with epoxy (my job)

---All but number 7 have to be done before the final inspection.

The drywall inspection is to see if it was attached correctly before it's taped. I guess since this is "earthquake country" they don't want the drywall coming off during a shaker. I'm not sure about other areas, but here the drywall screws have to be at least a certain distance apart and have to be a particular kind of drywall screw. No, I don't know all the particulars. All I know is that it cost me money for all the materials and the inspection.

At least after the drywall inspection we only have two left. The fire department has another inspection and then the "final."

Yep, Jim it's really happening and it's going to be great. Like your new shop, it will be a while before the interior is anywhere near being finished. I still hope to be able to move the tools down soon after Thanksgiving and working on some projects soon after that.

Anthony Whitesell
10-17-2008, 7:44 AM
Lookin' good.

Which one is the code requirement, the gutters, the leaf guards, or both?

Matt Ocel
10-17-2008, 7:45 AM
Oh, I understand now, just a difference terminology.
When we say "Drywall Finished" around here, that means hanged, taped, sanded. Also there still are a few municipalities around here that call for a drywall inspection to make sure of proper fastening.

I'm looking forward to the next set of pics.:)

Don Bullock
10-17-2008, 8:11 AM
Lookin' good.

Which one is the code requirement, the gutters, the leaf guards, or both?

Both -- The new construction must have gutters to prevent erosion and they must have the leaf guards because they are within 100 feet of the closest easement.

Jim Becker
10-17-2008, 8:15 AM
What's with the "drywall texturing"?? Seems to me you don't want that in a shop since it's just going to collect dust. "Normal" taping and finishing would be my choice.

That said, that's going to be a dandy shop! Congrats on the continued progress.

Don Bullock
10-17-2008, 8:23 AM
What's with the "drywall texturing"?? Seems to me you don't want that in a shop since it's just going to collect dust. "Normal" taping and finishing would be my choice...

Jim, that's what I thought and my plan right now is to wait and see how it looks after the taping. If I don't think the texturing is necessary we'll skip that step and save some cash. SWMBO would like to see a bright spot in that area about now.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2008, 8:46 AM
Don....I can almost smell some sawdust in that shop. It won't be long!

Anthony Whitesell
10-17-2008, 8:53 AM
Honestly, I didn't expect the reason for the guards to be due to the easement. I expected the guards to be a fire related regulation.