PDA

View Full Version : new (old) lathe question...

doug gates
10-16-2008, 8:18 PM
Hello, just started out on this board after finding it looking for some documentation for an old Dunlap lathe I picked up. The head stock doesn't seem to have a way to resist a thrust load. This is a model 103 0802 (I think, the paint is a little thick over the 8) with a sheet metal bed. I've found places that have documentation for the models with cast beds. Has anyone seen a place thatcarries documentation for my model? Thanks.

Jim Underwood
10-16-2008, 8:28 PM
Google "Old Woodworking Machinery" and one of the results will be a site where they have pictures, manuals, catalogues, and brochures on old woodworking equipment. I've found quite a few manuals over there for friends with old equipment.

doug gates
10-16-2008, 9:54 PM
I always hit google first thing when I come up with a new treasure. These guys have documentation on the cast bed lathes that I think are older than mine. These also seem to have a hinged, cast cover over the pulley section of the head stock. Mine is all one piece. I've got the headstock apart right now and can't see any signs that I might be missing anything but, again, the drive shaft seems to float back and forth about 1/4". I can't imagine this is how the shaft should be contained, although I've never owned a wood lathe before...

doug gates
10-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I think I've got the arbor play figured out. I've reset the oil-lite bearings so everything looks good. I was wondering about something else though. As I've been disassembling and cleaning things I found that I've got a couple of oil cups for the head stock bearings. Does anyone know what kind of oil I should be using for these bearings? Thanks.

Bart Leetch
10-19-2008, 1:29 AM
I have this Delta lathe with oil cup which you can just see on top. I don't use oil its messy. Take the lathe apart & pack the bearings with high temp auto wheel bearing grease. I did this several years ago & it has worked out great for my lathe. It runs cool & smooth & is much quieter.

Edit

I didn't mention that the bearings in my lathe are like the bearings in the front of a rear wheel drive car I believe they are called needle bearings & look like that pic attached.