PDA

View Full Version : Access panel hardware question

Craig D Peltier
10-16-2008, 2:46 PM
Ive attached a PDF file here of the panel. It goes in front of the tub. The three panles will be a shaker style panel 1/4 thick.
One of them must be removable. The client wants the panles all to look the same.It will be about 11 x 18 panel.
I was thinking that I would make the cutout in the ply, cut out a 1/2 thick panel ( for weight) that will fit the cut out.Then take the shaker trim apply it to the 1/2" panel a little over the edges maybe 1/2 inch. So theres no seam when putting it into main panle hole.
Attaching it is my question.
I was thinking about maybe 4 of those door latches. They look like two plastic rollers on the cabinet usually and a male part on the door, when you close it the male part pushes into the two rollers an holds door shut. Dont know name of them. Do you think these will hold the panel flat tight against plywood tub panel?
I also thought of double stick tape but that may peel paint off over time. Its in a steamy place too.
Also magnets?

Any suggestions or opinions on what may keept it tight against tub panel?

Thanks

PS client doesnt want any holes for pulls etc, it suppose to look like it isnt there ( of course).

Roger Ronas
10-16-2008, 3:01 PM
Hello Craig,
Those things (I don't know what they are called either) would work great, in fact I've done that very thing with tub panels before using them. Sorry no pics, it's been 20 or so years ago.
Also they make the magnetic hidden latches for doors that would work as well. The only thing is you always have to find the magnet to open the panel. I think it's call "magna lock" or something like that.

HTH
Roger

Ive attached a PDF file here of the panel. It goes in front of the tub. The three panles will be a shaker style panel 1/4 thick.
One of them must be removable. The client wants the panles all to look the same.It will be about 11 x 18 panel.
I was thinking that I would make the cutout in the ply, cut out a 1/2 thick panel ( for weight) that will fit the cut out.Then take the shaker trim apply it to the 1/2" panel a little over the edges maybe 1/2 inch. So theres no seam when putting it into main panle hole.
Attaching it is my question.
I was thinking about maybe 4 of those door latches. They look like two plastic rollers on the cabinet usually and a male part on the door, when you close it the male part pushes into the two rollers an holds door shut. Dont know name of them. Do you think these will hold the panel flat tight against plywood tub panel?
I also thought of double stick tape but that may peel paint off over time. Its in a steamy place too.
Also magnets?

Any suggestions or opinions on what may keept it tight against tub panel?

Thanks

PS client doesnt want any holes for pulls etc, it suppose to look like it isnt there ( of course).

Jamie Buxton
10-16-2008, 6:32 PM
I've attached hidden panels with flexible magnetic tape. The tape is the rubber magnetic stuff that refridgerator magnets are made from. It has adhesive on one side, which holds it to your wood. You need some steel for the magnet to cling to. Angle iron inside the cabinet works well.

If you attach the molding to the removeable panel instead of the fixed panel, you can bevel the underside of the bottom piece of molding, to form a finger pull. It is hidden from sight.

Jamie Buxton
10-16-2008, 6:50 PM
Does the access panel have to come completely out of the way? Could it just be a door hinged at the top? Gravity holds it closed. Make it with the molding attached to the moving panel, and it is just an overlay door. Simple.

Craig D Peltier
10-16-2008, 6:53 PM
Does the access panel have to come completely out of the way? Could it just be a door hinged at the top? Gravity holds it closed. Make it with the molding attached to the moving panel, and it is just an overlay door. Simple.
It will never hang tightly closed so it appears for the trim to be tight against the larger panel.

Jamie Buxton
10-16-2008, 6:58 PM
It will never hang tightly closed so it appears for the trim to be tight against the larger panel.

Really? I make overlay doors with cup hinges that are darn close to the carcass. Okay, "darn close" isn't exactly zero, but it is darn close.

Roger Everett
10-17-2008, 4:05 PM
I've got a similar thing, platform tub with face frame and 3 panels. When I built the house, I made all three panels 1/4 bead board and after painting attached w/ velcro, to have access to motor at one end and plumbing at other end. The panel have since cupped a bit. I still have some of the bead board and intend to redo adding 1/2" ply ( smaller, to fit between the interrior stops attached to face frame and then attach w/ magnetic door catches , but will also put a knob or handle on , matching vanities, to make them easily removeable.
Roger