PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used/seen an AMT band saw?

Brandon Powell
10-16-2008, 1:09 PM
I have the opportunity to take a look at an AMT band saw, which from googling is supposed to be a Delta clone. Has anyone ever used one of these band saws? If so, are there things I should be looking out for? I'm concerned that I may pay too much for the saw, then pay more trying to get it right, but my budget doesn't allow for the nicer, prettier saws.:(

Bill White
10-16-2008, 1:31 PM
I have an AMT scroll saw that's 10+ yrs. old. Been a good one though not a world beater.
I would think that, if in good shape, a BS from AMT would be a good starter. If it needs stuff you will have to get creative.
Bill

Jim Becker
10-16-2008, 4:21 PM
AMT has been out of business for a long time, but it's likely that the saw is "very similar" to other machines of similar design and vintage.

Brandon Powell
10-29-2008, 3:04 PM
Well, after thinking about getting a new one, I decided to contact the seller of the AMT and ask if she would take $120 for the saw. She said yes. Now I have to hope that the sw is worth the $120. Here are the pictures that she provided. Do you think it is worth the $120 if it all works and there is minimal replacements needed?

Gary McKown
10-29-2008, 3:28 PM
Don't know how old it is, but this is from a 1987 FWW article:

"The AMT bandsaw is a Taiwanese low-cost version of the Rockwell. It's
made by the Yung Li Shing Electric Works Co. Ltd (whose trademark is an
elephant cast into the plastic knobs) and sells for about $300. Elephant
also makes bandsaws for such familiar names as Jet, Sunhill, Bridgewood,
Bratton, Grizzly, Andreou, A.J. Tool, etc."

Interesting that there is a motor guard but no blade guard.

Bruce Page
10-29-2008, 8:06 PM
The machine looks to be in good condition. I think you got a good deal.

Brandon Powell
11-05-2008, 2:00 PM
Well, got the saw home over the weekend and still need to do a little setting up for it. It had the original steel guide blocks which I will trade out for Cool Blocks, and it had a 3/8" blade which is pretty new. Also surprised by the fact that it had a 1HP motor in it, it seems to work pretty good. I bought a new 1/2" 4 tooth blade to give resawing a try once I get the wheels coplanar and adjust for drift. Anyone know where to get new thrust bearings for a Delta clone, prefereably in Houston?

Regards,
Brandon

Curt Harms
11-05-2008, 3:25 PM
Well, got the saw home over the weekend and still need to do a little setting up for it. It had the original steel guide blocks which I will trade out for Cool Blocks, and it had a 3/8" blade which is pretty new. Also surprised by the fact that it had a 1HP motor in it, it seems to work pretty good. I bought a new 1/2" 4 tooth blade to give resawing a try once I get the wheels coplanar and adjust for drift. Anyone know where to get new thrust bearings for a Delta clone, prefereably in Houston?

Regards,
Brandon

I bought sealed bearings from a bearings & drives place. If you take a bearing with you, I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement. You should be able to find a supplier in the Yellow Pages. On the Rikon/Sears steel frame saw people are using skateboard bearings. I don't know if they'd work on your saw.

HTH

Curt

Tim Thomas
11-05-2008, 3:53 PM
Brandon, I also have an AMT bandsaw that needs a little work. I can't tell you much about it other than I inherited it from my wife's grandfather. I have never turned it on because it has a shattered "clamp shoe" which is a small part that helps hold the table down (pretty important). I have found a website that I think may be able to sell me a couple of these parts, maybe it will help you as well: http://www.ereplacementparts.com

The have some nice exploded diagrams of various tools that makes it pretty easy to find the part you might need. For example:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-28206-type-band-saw-parts-c-3275_3481_3485.html

Still no guarantee that a new Delta part will fit your old AMT saw, but if the part is cheap it may be worth a shot. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a couple of the clamp shoes since it will only run about $15 for both parts and shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, my AMT bandsaw is a dark green color. I don't know if that makes it older or newer than the one you have...

EDIT: Also check out http://www.dewaltservicenet.com, looks like you can get parts from them too and it may be cheaper.

Gene Michael
11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
A few months ago, I rebuilt my old Ohio Forge 14" band saw. Found that some parts from the Ridgid saw fit. You can also find parts on e-Bay, but sometimes the bidding gets wild and it's more cost effective to see what can be adapted from other brands or repaired. $120 isn't a bad price if the motor works and nothing major is broken.

Lance Norris
11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Brandon...you should be able to make a fine tool out of the AMT Bandsaw you bought. MOST of the parts should be interchangeable with the Delta,Ridgid,Grizzly,Jet family of cast iron frame saws. Louis Iturra has an excellent FREE catalog of replacement parts and add-ons for the cast iron saws. There is no websight, and the only way to get the catalog is to call. I am away from home right now and dont have the phone number, but will post a thread asking for the number. Go here to get the number for the catalog:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=962163#post962163

Tony Zaffuto
11-06-2008, 7:33 PM
I remember the AMT catalogs from at least 15 years ago (maybe more). They were Delta clones and many were sold almost as a kit type of deal: you got the basic machine, would have to add your own motor. Can't remember if pulleys & switches were included. Prices were much, much lower than comparable Delta (which were all American made at that time). Almost bought a jointer from 'em, but went with a Sears (mistake). If I remember correctly, their operation was based in Royersford, PA. They also offered some handtools, such as a knock off of the Stanley "Odd Jobs". It would be nice to have kept all my catalogs from when I started!

T.Z.