PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend...

aurelio alarcon
05-19-2004, 10:29 PM
can anyone recommend an 8 inch carbide stacked dado set for under a hundred dollars if there is a good one out there.

John M. Cioffi
05-20-2004, 7:01 AM
Hi Aurelio,
The Freud SD206 or 208 is the one I have. It is about $99-$109, or something in that range. you can get it from almost anywhere.Amazon.com/rockler/ ect.
I've been using mine for 5 yrs. & it still cuts beautifully clean.Now, it comes in its own cary case.
You will not go wrong with this set.

Happy Wodworking.

John

aurelio alarcon
05-20-2004, 8:01 AM
Hi Aurelio,
The Freud SD206 or 208 is the one I have. It is about $99-$109, or something in that range. you can get it from almost anywhere.Amazon.com/rockler/ ect.
I've been using mine for 5 yrs. & it still cuts beautifully clean.Now, it comes in its own cary case.
You will not go wrong with this set.

Happy Wodworking.

John
Thank you John. This is the one that I will purchase then. Economical with good results cannot be beat. Again, thank you very much.

scott spencer
05-20-2004, 8:14 AM
My dado is also a Freud SD208. Good dado for the money....not the absolute best out there, but it does a good job. Not sure what the SD508 w/4 wing chippers costs, but I'm sure it's a little cleaner cutting.

Jim Becker
05-20-2004, 8:22 AM
Take a look at the Freud SD506...yea, it's 6", but most dados are not deeper than 3/4" anyway and it costs a bit less than the 8" equivalent. This version also has the four-tooth chippers previously mentioned for better cuts and shouldn't push your $100 budget too much over.

aurelio alarcon
05-20-2004, 2:30 PM
I will definetely look into the SD506 Jim. I saw the SD508 Scott, and it is a lttle more than the old pocket book can afford right now. I found the SD208 for 89 bucks Scott at amazon. Not knowing much about dados, this one keeps coming up in my searches as an excellent dado--quality and performance--for the price. It is an excellent price for my budget. I am going to check into the SD506 and see if it is within my range. Because you have a very good point Jim, it is very seldom does a person cut beyond the 3/4 inches that you mention. Thanks guys for the heads up on these other options. I'll check the SD506 and see if I can swing it, if not, it will be the SD208 that John originally recomended and you guys have acknowledged.

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2004, 3:24 PM
I second or third, or fourth the SD208 for a set under $100. I was lucky to catch a deal on it for about $60, but even at $89 I think its a good deal. Seems to cut pretty good and clean dados. If I used it more, I might opt for the really expensive ones, but I don't so it does the trick. Good Luck.

aurelio alarcon
05-20-2004, 11:29 PM
I second or third, or fourth the SD208 for a set under $100. I was lucky to catch a deal on it for about $60, but even at $89 I think its a good deal. Seems to cut pretty good and clean dados. If I used it more, I might opt for the really expensive ones, but I don't so it does the trick. Good Luck.
I would do anything, well almost, to have gotten such an excellent deal. You really scored Sott!

Kevin Brown
05-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Aurelio

I have a SD208 that has only been used 2 times, so it is in excellent condition. I will sell it to you for $60 plus shipping.

Little belated gloat here, I won the Freud Dial-a-Dado last winter :rolleyes: so I haven't used the 208 since.

Kevin

aurelio alarcon
05-21-2004, 8:16 PM
Aurelio

I have a SD208 that has only been used 2 times, so it is in excellent condition. I will sell it to you for $60 plus shipping.

Little belated gloat here, I won the Freud Dial-a-Dado last winter :rolleyes: so I haven't used the 208 since.

Kevin
If you can hold off, let me get back to you Kevin. If not I will understand. I have to check to see if I have a ten dollar coupon from Amazon. This would take a new one down to 79.00. That would be too hard to resist in light of the fact that shipping is free. If not we might just have a deal.

Kevin Brown
05-22-2004, 11:28 AM
no problem :cool: