PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell: Extruded Acrylic and Fusion Paint

Scott Challoner
10-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I know this technique has been discussed before, but I'm really happy with how this came out.
A sheet of cheap acrylic from Menards and Black Krylon Fusion on one side and Fusion Hammered Copper on the other. I just laserd through the copper side for a nice simulated hammered copper plate effect. A little more labor, but overall material cost was 1/2 that of Rowmark. Plus I used regular acrylic vs the impact modified stuff so no sticky edges.
I recommend the Fusion over the Rustoleum Plastic. I picked up the Rustoleum since Menards doesn't carry Krylon and it left fish eyes all over the place. The Krylon seems to disolve any minor contaminants on the plastic. I only use the Fusion before lasering as it tends to craze if you use it afterwords.
In order to minimize raster lines, I filled the text with the texture fill Stucco. I set the two values to 100% black and 60% black and engraved in 3D mode. This gives the text sort of a sand cast look. I also lower the table .040 to .050 out of focus to further help smooth the lines.
When they are done, I rub them down with ArmorAll for a nice metallic shine. As usual, they look much better than the photos show.:o

Frank Corker
10-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, turned out a treat then! It has the appearance of being metal. Great job!

Bill Cunningham
10-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Krylon Fusion is great stuff.. I just tried some on the outdrive of my boat, and it dried as black and glossy as the original powder paintjob..

That hammertone is a great idea..

Wesley Perreira
10-17-2008, 3:04 AM
Wow! That is just brilliant, gonna try to do that one too! Looks awesome!

Scott Challoner
10-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm delivering them today so we'll see what the customer says.