PDA

View Full Version : More on Oak Burl

Rex Guinn
10-16-2008, 8:05 AM
I have been turning on this since last Thursday and It's slow going. If you want to see the progress, here is my web site. http://ragwing.gutenpress.org
I will post some finished pics on Sawmillcreek when it's done.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2008, 9:48 AM
I must say I can see why it is slow going. Can't wait to see it finished. That is a hugh hunk of wood.

curtis rosche
10-16-2008, 2:13 PM
i envy you. it looks like there is more burl left to turn after this peice is done. is that right?

Nathan Hawkes
10-16-2008, 2:59 PM
Wow. Now that is a hunk of wood!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics. I wish I had access to a big lathe like the powermatic. I'm using my rigged up rockwell.:rolleyes: Keep us informed as to your progress!! Also, what are you doing to keep it from drying out and cracking between turning sessions?? I've used a plastic bag before, and sprayed a weak bleach solution on the surface to guard against mildew, but I still get a few little black speckles.

Rex Guinn
10-16-2008, 7:33 PM
I am using the Powermatic at the New Wood Craft store in Lexington, it's only about 18 miles from my house. I have made about 4 other bowls from this same burl and still have some pieces left. Gave one large piece away, not as large as this one. It's going to stay at the Wood Craft store for a few months, then ???.
I have been sealing it between days using Lacquer Sanding Sealer or one of the end grain sealers. So far no problem, it's been down for about 8 months.