PDA

View Full Version : Welded Mobile Stand

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 2:11 AM
I have finally completed a mobile stand for my JET Combo Jointer/Planer.

Hope these pictures help some else one build a stand for piece of equipment that they need to make mobile.

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 2:13 AM
Here are a few more . .

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 2:14 AM
Here is one more . .

Tommorow I'll have some with the jointer/planer dropped in . .

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 2:34 AM
Drawing with dimensions . . .

Larry Copas
10-16-2008, 7:24 AM
That's a good looking, well thought out, heavy duty stand. Where did you get the jack for your stand?

Bruce Hazelden
10-16-2008, 7:31 AM
G,day Stephen, Great design. I am looking to build just such a base myself. Where did you find the low profile wheel assemblies? They look very strong and don't appear to take up too much space
Cheers, Bruce

Peter Quinn
10-16-2008, 7:39 AM
Nice work sir! Zambus casters? Very nice. Have you contacted jet to offer them the design service? Looks very professional.

Don Abele
10-16-2008, 8:02 AM
Steven, nice base! What is the foot for? Don't the Zambus/Great Lakes casters have the locking foot on them? Although I imagine that foot is a lot easier to lock in than bending over and turning all four of those little knobs. And as others have asked, where did you get that foot from? Again, excellent base.

Be well,

Doc

Jeffrey Makiel
10-16-2008, 8:03 AM
That looks better than anything you can buy.
-Jeff :)

Matt Meiser
10-16-2008, 9:39 AM
Nice base Steve! Kind of makes me regret buying the Rockler one I just ordered for my sander.

Bill White
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
The cost analisys gurus would say that it would have to be cheapened in order to be viable in the market place. You gotta quit building stuff so well. It might last more than a week.
(Tongue in cheek)
Very well done sir.
Bill

Jim Galvin
10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Where did you get the casters?

Jim

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 12:53 PM
The foot was added mainly due to my understanding that there was a potential of a "backwards" flip when the jointer table was move out of position to allow use of the planer. (Probably not really needed)

It also serves as a quick parking brake. By itself it would be sufficient for a quick run on the jointer.

The foot down and the just the two forward caster/feet down would be plenty solid enough for any operation of the machine.

All four feet down and the foot, it feels like it is "welded" to the floor.

The reason to the "overkill" angle is simple, it was given to me . . .

The foot is available through Great Lakes Caster as is the casters I used. I did step up one level on the caster size and capacity then what is normally referred to on this site. Any one of the casters can handle the weight of the jointer/planer.

Quick Money Saving Tip.

If you want to build one like this, buy a 20' length of angle in the size you deem appropriate. For the caster supports you can buy a short length of "brick ledge" which will give ample material for four caster supports.

P.S. Great Lakes Casters has sister company that offers a large selection of casters & "feet' . . .

Steven DeMars
10-16-2008, 2:34 PM
Here is with planer/jointer mounted . . . . :D

John Gornall
10-16-2008, 5:19 PM
Steven, looks great.

Which caster did you use?

You say you went up a size - Great Lakes only shows 1 size of leveling caster.

Charles Green
10-16-2008, 8:09 PM
I like it. It looks very professional.

I have the same casters on my machine but I mounted them directly to the jointer. It has not felt tippy with the table up. Maybe if I rolled it around with the table up it would though. Excellent job nice to see there is another one of the Jet J/P in town as I thought mine would get lonely.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/enutees/IMG_5464.jpg

glenn bradley
10-16-2008, 8:59 PM
Beautiful. The foot can help keep her still while you wind the Zambus as well. Love it.

Steven DeMars
10-17-2008, 9:26 PM
I know several of you have bought stands & some of you have built or bought custom stands . . .

I have a guy that lives in New Orleans that wants me to build one for him .

Any suggestions on what a fair price for one of these may be?

I know what I would like to get, but I am thinking I may be high . . .

Any suggestions as to value without casters . . .

Thanks,
Steve