PDA

View Full Version : Has There Been a Merger....?

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Between the manufacturers of hand held power tools and "athletic" shoes? I mean compare this (http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/productdetail/cm--Mens%3A%20Footwear/supercat--mens/model--89227~10145504/mvpid--prod_tp~54406/) to this (http://www.cpomakita.com/drills/18v_cordless_drills/bdf452hw-r.html). There's enough problems without having to worry about making a fool out of yourself by trying to drive a screw with your shoe.....

Peter Quadarella
10-15-2008, 11:58 PM
It's gotta be the same design or marketing folks. They don't care how the item works, as long as it is flashy and "tests" well :).

By the way David, I did not realize you were a celebrity! I was reading a 1983 issue of FWW yesterday and there was a full page picture of you with an endorsement of some Freud shaper cutters. Sorry for the highjack but I couldn't resist - I always sensed you had a bit more experience and knowledge than the average joe. :)

Edit: Uh, unless there is some other David DeCristoforo woodworker out there, in which case, move along, nothing to see here ;).

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Boy David,

I hope my wife and my neighbor's wife haven't been talking to those two companies! Those two ladies...... When we moved here 26 years ago, my wife didn't know what shopping was and couldn't spell "accessorize". Thanks to Betty, my neighbors wife, my wife spends long days shopping for things to match other things. Then and only then, she goes one more time to buy the matching products. If those two had been around years ago, Chris Padilla's shop curtains would have matched better and he would not be ashamed to show them again or talk about it.:eek::D

Jamie Cowan
10-16-2008, 12:10 AM
That's really an astute observation. And funny, too. I haven't been able to articulate it, but I've noticed a lot (well, several) tools that look like they are a little heavy on superfluous design aesthetic, and that Makita drill has been at the top of the list. Next up would be the Hitatchi line. I wouldn't buy one of these simply because somebody might see it. "Hey, check out that dude's fancy drill! It looks so aerodynamic--does it drill faster, fancy boy?"

John Michaels
10-16-2008, 12:18 AM
The new hitachi drills and miter saws do indeed look like an "athletic shoe".

Tom Godley
10-16-2008, 7:37 AM
I may be wrong -- but the first I saw of it was from Hitachi about four years ago.

I bought a drill bit set -- from Lowes -- they had all kinds of accessory kits for portable tools -- also purchased a replacement saw blade for my 8.5 miter.

All the packing and the box for the drills was 'sneakered" to match the new miter saw that had just come out.

The quality of the products is high -- maybe they wanted some way to show off all the soft touch plastic used.

Greg Cole
10-16-2008, 8:51 AM
Chris Padilla's shop curtains would have matched better and he would not be ashamed to show them again or talk about it.:eek::D

You sure do like to keep kicking that one around Ken! ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I've never bought a tool based on looks. Then again most of the sneakers today are fugly.

Greg

Jared Larrow
10-16-2008, 8:52 AM
David -

Interesting observation. What's funny to me, is that the shoes are more expensive than the drill... :)

Jared

Jerry White
10-16-2008, 9:19 AM
A very astute observation, David. I think it all started in power tools with Hitachi, then spread to Makita. So far, I have avoided tools with such adornment. I'm afraid of introducing a virus that will spread throughout my shop. :D

Jeremy Parkins
10-16-2008, 9:21 AM
I am just exited they finally came out with shoes that match my drill... Now if I could just find a matching belt....

Brent Smith
10-16-2008, 9:48 AM
You didn't read the fine print, did you David? The Pumas have a 1/4" chuck built into the heal, and word on the street is Makita will be introducing a new lace up chuck in early '09.

Bill White
10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
A lace up chuck???? If it ain't a Velcro closure, it's old school technology.
I'm thinkin' about adding racing stripes to my lathe.
Bill

Randy Cohen
10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
they are meant to be worn on the drill field.