PDA

View Full Version : Pocket screws: Kreg versus McFeely's

Gene Michael
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I recently ordered pocket screws from McFeely's. I'm used to a Kreg fine thread screw for hardwoods and have never had holding problems with them. The screws from McFeely's are noticeably thinner and the threads much shallower. Has anyone used the McFeely's fine thread, and if so, what has your experience been with holding power? My fear is that the shallower threads will strip out before pulling face frames tightly onto a cabinet body or other structure.

Thanks for any comments/experiences. :confused:

Peter Quadarella
10-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Hmmm, I'm surprised the screw would be thinner. I would think a #8 is a #8 (these should be standard sizes). I don't know about their fine thread, but in general I have always been happy with the McFeely's screws I've used.

glenn bradley
10-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Mc Feely's uses #7 for their FF screws, this might be what your seeing but, I digress . . . On to your question: I have had no problems with either brand. I generally go with Mc Feely's but only because they have a wide variety and I am probably buying something specific and get my PH screws at the same time. When Rockler has their 2 for 1 on Kreg as they do now and again, I pick up a few boxes if I'm there.

Karl Brogger
10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I use Deerwood fasteners. Good stuff.

Jim Becker
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I use both brands with no issues.

Bruce Wrenn
10-17-2008, 7:09 PM
A third option is Sommerfeld Tools. FREE SHIPPING! He is Craig Sommerfeld's, as in Kregg's jigs, brother or some kin.

Gene Michael
10-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Guys, thanks for the feedback. The McFeely's fine threads actually come out to be a #6 screw. Before my next project, I'll probably use some scrap wood and try both brands side by side and see how much torque can be applied before stripping out the holes.