PDA

View Full Version : Festool goes yellow........Dewalt style

James Manning
10-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone got any pricing info on the new track saw Dewalt is coming out with in November? Looks like a Festool in yellow dress........:)

Narayan Nayar
10-15-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't remember specifics, but it's in the same price range as Festool, which should give most people here a target other than Festool to bash. :)

The Dewalt seems like a serious contender. I'm pretty heavily invested into the Festool system, but if I were starting over, I'd look pretty closely at the Dewalt. I love that they've taken that idea cordless.

I think simple economics will keep these tools relatively high in cost (built well, lots of R&D, not built in China), which is a bummer, but I think competition in the higher end of tools inevitably forces that technology down the line for others, which is good for everyone.

Tom Henderson2
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
The published list price is actually a tad higher than the festool -- something like $499 vs $475. Or thereabouts.

The question in my mind is what the actual street price will be. Most DeWalt stuff is sold well below list price.

We can only hope!

-TH

Mike Heidrick
10-16-2008, 1:10 AM
I know the 520 corded Dewalt version I have is VERY VERY nice. the saw rides super smooth on the track. I have also heard $499 for the 520 kit which will include a 59" track. The cordless versions will be more.

I did two reviews - do a search.

Richard Wolf
10-16-2008, 8:04 AM
Mike Heidrick did a great comparison two days ago here, take a look;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94081.

Richard

Greg Cole
10-16-2008, 8:47 AM
I don't remember specifics, but it's in the same price range as Festool, which should give most people here a target other than Festool to bash. :)
Kinda like saying one more avenue for padlocks to be used....:rolleyes:
Healthy competition never hurt anyone & if DW can make this more of a system incorporating routers etc not just a guided circ caw it'll be more attractive to some folks as well.

Greg

Don Bullock
10-16-2008, 9:31 AM
Here's the thread on the cost:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93853