PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck questions

David Drickhamer
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I'd like you opinion. I'm thinking of getting a vacuum chuck system and don't really know anything about them. Craft Supplies USA has a Holdfast vacuum Chuck on closeout.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Closeout___Complete_Holdfast_Vacuum_Chuck_System__ _clr_holdfast_complete?Args=

Is this a good system? How big a compressor is needed to work? I have a pancake compressor for my nail gun. Will that work?

Thanks for your advise.
Dave

Leo Van Der Loo
10-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi David, I don't know about this particular unit, but we used the ventury type vacuum system in my other life, they were used for transferring volatile liquids, and they work very well, they don't wear out, no maintenace and you don't need to oil them etc, they would pull 28" of mercury just like that and displaced a lot of volume very fast.
However they were noisy and those units used a very large amount of air, which was not a problem there, but you'd need a very large compressor to supply the air, it is the reason that the one I have sitting in a can with gauge and valves probably never will be used by me.
Of course you can downsize those units, but they might not pull enough volume if there's some leakage through the wood or along the seals, but I can't tell you about that if that is the case with this unit, just my 2 cent.

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
David - I don't have any experience with the Holdfast system but wanted to throw this link at you to give you some options when it comes to vac systems.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84279

There are a number of folks here who run different vac systems and are very happy with them. Hopefully others will offer some additional ideas for you!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
David, to hook right into Steve's post, a vacuum system like that is probably a more economical way to go, as running a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor would be less costly than buying and running a large air compressor (5 HP or better).
Also a link to a fellow that has sold used vacuum systems and other turning goodies for a long time, well known, good rapports, good prices.

http://www.wbnoble.com/index.html

John Gornall
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Before I built my vacuum chuck I looked at the Holdfast system. Email from some users said they were happy with the unit. Doesn't need a big compressor "Runs on 2.5 CFM compressor at 55 to 65 PSI". In the end I built my own system as I all ready had a vacuum pump.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2008, 9:56 AM
David I saw the Holdfast system being used at the Richmond Symposium. Dave Hout was using it with a pancake compressor. It needs 2.5 cfm at 55 to 75 PSI. I will say his ran quite a bit while using it but it did work and did work well. There were several of us that tried to pull the bowl off and couldn't. I bought one and have used it twice so far and it seems to work pretty well. I have a big Sears compressor 26 gal at 160 PSI it ran twice for a few seconds while turning off the bottom of a bowl. So far I am happy with it. I think Scott Hubel on here has 2 of them and is quite happy with his.

Kim Ford
10-16-2008, 2:04 PM
David;

I built a system from Steve's plan. Very easy to do and it works very well. Can't say enough good about it.

Just remember holding power is in direct relationship to the vacuum being pulled, mine pulls about 26.5" of mercury on the gauge, and the surface area you are holding. The more surface area of the chuck the more holding power.

David Drickhamer
10-16-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I just got home from work and after reading all you reply's I went online to order it. As luck would have it they were sold out of everything I had in my shopping cart.
I think I'll make one using Steve's plans. Sounds like a good retirement project for next year.
Thanks again.
Dave

Dave Halter
10-16-2008, 9:01 PM
Hartville Tool has them for $199.00

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12964

David Drickhamer
10-17-2008, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave. They also have free shipping at this time.
Dave