PDA

View Full Version : Wood Engraving Supplier

Wesley Perreira
10-15-2008, 9:07 PM
I searched and could not really find anything about where to get 1/8" Birch or other woods for engraving. Being located on an island, my suppliers are limited and no one here carries that size. I am forced to utilize the internet to buy wood and found one that I bought some from, but they only sell Birch. Are there any others where I can buy other types of wood which you may know of?

Also what other types of wood are good for photo engraving?

Robert Alexander
10-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Sloans woodshop carries alot of thin plywoods in both hard and softwood types. As for photo engraving. Cherry wood is the best. But I use alder wood which is cheaper and use a cherry wood stain. Also I have gotten some good deals on Ebay for thin laserable plywoods. Which have lasered great. Just watch out for some of the cheaper plywoods. Some of the glues they use do not cut well on the laser.

Wesley Perreira
10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Robert, took a look at their site and looks like what I need. Hope the shipping doesn't ruin me. So Cherry comes out better than Birch? I've been having some great results with the Birch and can't wait to get my hands on some Cherry.:D

Marc Myer
10-16-2008, 3:11 PM
If you're located in Hawaii I can help you find a local helpful supplier.

Ross Lowry
10-16-2008, 5:40 PM
Wesley, give Michael Kowalczyk a shout, he is a member here. He sells Russian birch plywood.